Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Jared Williams

Historical Fiction Novel Idea

I am considering, for future projects (perhaps WAY future...) writing a Historical Fiction novel from the biblical account of Joseph.  Do you think there would be a desire for such a book? Do you know if that has been done? I know there was a book, way back in 1980, that was from the viewpoint of the five women who loved Joseph, but I am thinking about writing it from Joesph's viewpoint... just playing with the idea for now...

• Like 1

You've got some competition, but a lot of people like that kind of book.

I should also add I just beta-read one in this topic, and you need to Bible fact check the living daylights out of it! 

Edited by Alley
  • Like 1

Actually, one of our writers has written such a book and posted pieces of it here. I'm trying to remember who it is. 

But just because someone else has written a book doesn't mean that a different author can't present a different viewpoint. Otherwise, there would only be one or two romance novels.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Otherwise, there would only be one or two romance novels.

So glad we didn't stop at Shakespeare! 😑 That would have been a tragedy! 😳😱

Edited by Alley
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alley said:

So glad we didn't stop at Shakspere! 😑 That would have been a tragedy! 😳😱

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Actually, one of our writers has written such a book and posted pieces of it here. I'm trying to remember who it is.

It's @PenName.

Editing to add there's no reason why a story can't be told by several writers. We have four gospels, don't we?

Edited by EBraten
  • Like 1

Yusef and Zulaikha! Watch the epic TV series for inspiration.

Though on second thoughts, it might be a bit confusing if you don't understand Persian.

18 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

But just because someone else has written a book doesn't mean that a different author can't present a different viewpoint. Otherwise, there would only be one or two romance novels.

PenName!

I follow her on other sites because she help me understand the elaborate subterfuge that Joseph put his brothers through.

Don't let that discourage you. I'm doing a science fiction story based on the Jonah story. Has it ever been done? Probably. But it's never been none by me!

Edited by EClayRowe
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Has it ever been done? Probably. But it's never been none by me!

And that is all that matters!

• Like 2

Yup, that’s me! 😁 Glad to hear you’re inspired by Joseph. He’s got an amazing story. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PenName said:

Yup, that’s me! 😁 Glad to hear you’re inspired by

An update?  Is it for sale?  

• Like 1

Just now, Nicola said:

An update?  Is it for sale?  

I have a publisher interested, but they haven’t committed yet. It’s in God’s hands! 🙏🏻

And @Jared Williams - if God is calling you to write something, write it!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, Alley said:

So glad we didn't stop at Shakespeare! 😑 That would have been a tragedy! 😳😱

I try to not bring it up, but now I have to. I admit it. I strongly dislike Shakespeare. 😬🤣

• Like 1

Just now, PenName said:

I try to not bring it up, but now I have to. I admit it. I strongly dislike Shakespeare. 😬🤣

I have only read Romeo and Juliet. I thought it was horrible when I read it as a teen, and I still feel the same way! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alley said:

I have only read Romeo and Juliet.

I shall now say the phrase that may cause many to feel the need to ostracize me.  

You haven’t missed much. 

😬🤣

3 minutes ago, PenName said:

You haven’t missed much. 

Reading is subjective. My dad loves Moby Dick. I hated it! I like Charles Dickens; he hates his works. 😄 Go figure! 😋

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Williams said:

@PenName, thank you. What does your book look like, if I may ask? 

Certainly! How do you mean? Do you mean wordcount or genre?

i was actually more curious as to how you went about writing the story of Joseph. was it mostly based on the biblical account, was it from Joseph's view, was there particular themes or parts of his story you emphasized more than others? I don't want to copy you, but looking up what other people have done has given me some ideas of what I can do different... 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, Jared Williams said:

i was actually more curious as to how you went about writing the story of Joseph. was it mostly based on the biblical account, was it from Joseph's view, was there particular themes or parts of his story you emphasized more than others? I don't want to copy you, but looking up what other people have done has given me some ideas of what I can do different... 

Hey @Jared Williams. I stuck to Joseph's point of view while hitting every part of the Biblical account I could while in his POV (so, no brothers talking to their father, etc.). I placed a strong emphasis on historical accuracy and on how Joseph grew to be a man of faith. Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1