Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
EBraten

Christopher Tolkien is dead

From the Tolkien Society:

It is with great sadness that we can confirm that Tolkien’s son and literary executor Christopher Tolkien has died aged 95.

Christopher was born in Leeds, United Kingdom, on 21 November 1924. After a childhood in Oxford, he joined the RAF during the Second World War and was stationed to South Africa. After the war, he finished his studies and became a lecturer in Old and Middle English as well as Old Icelandic at the University of Oxford. After his father’s death in 1973, he became the literary executor of the Tolkien Estate and went on to edit and publish his father’s unpublished material starting with The Silmarillion in 1977 and ending with The Fall of Gondolin in 2018.

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2020/01/christopher-tolkien-has-died/?fbclid=IwAR1LETFwoDlvV1YRPVdy24E-3Qwr74e8m4YLBQIX6AnqBTIgXDyt1ythyEc

• Sad 3

It was the Simirillion (sp:?) that really drew me into the lore of Middle Earth.  It lead me back to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I'm reading it now- I tried years ago, but just couldn't get into it.  But now we'll see.

Shhhhh! 🤫 @Rebecca or @PenName might hear you. 😬 (Don't tell them I never read it.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Alley said:

(Don't tell them I never read it.) 

I've never read it either... but please don't tell them :)

• Haha 2

In all seriousness as well, thank you for sharing @EBraten. I heard this news a few days ago. I hope he knew Jesus as his father seemed to. JRR Tolkien’s letters showed a deep love for God and he was the man who led CS Lewis to faith in Christ. Christopher Tolkien was a very faithful steward for his father’s work and I am so thankful for everything they both did to bring us the most beautiful (in my opinion) fantasy legendarium we have.

Westu hal. FerðuChristopher Tolkien. 

• Like 2

This is sad news. I know that Amazon is working on a Lord Of The Rings series, and I hope they stay true to Tolkiens work.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jonjovi said:

This is sad news. I know that Amazon is working on a Lord Of The Rings series, and I hope they stay true to Tolkiens work.

I don't know how long copyrights are kept in the family if descendants renew them, so they don't skid into public domain. I do know that if Christopher hadn't, those WOW* movie trilogies wouldn't have been half the WOW they were. Some studio tried to use the novels to make a movie, but Christopher fought it in court, and won. Ultimately, he did let it go to film the way his family wanted it done.

When writers die, it's still their copyright for several decades. (Different laws for UK than US.) I hope Christopher set it up to still stay in the family for quite a few more decades. I can't see Amazon doing a good job with it. 

*WOW -- whereas I've seen many movies and read many books in my life only a few hit that special level where I'm left thinking only one word -- WOW! LotR and The Hobbit series were both WOW!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

*WOW -- whereas I've seen many movies and read many books in my life only a few hit that special level where I'm left thinking only one word -- WOW! LotR and The Hobbit series were both WOW!

I'd disagree on the Hobbit.  The Elf / Dwarf romance thing just about made me barf.  I mean, really...c'mon!

And they nearly put Arwen in the battle of Helms Deep.  When it got out the Tolkien fans had a fit.  In the extended editions Liv Tyler talks about how she was getting called Xena Warrior Princess because of it.

I know the family had a firm grip on the works.  The fans are just about as rabid.

I think they tried to do a good job on Lord of the Rings.  But they made a grave mistake trying to push the Hobbit out to 3 movies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Potts said:

I think they tried to do a good job on Lord of the Rings.  But they made a grave mistake trying to push the Hobbit out to 3 movies. 

The Star Wars trilogy came out in the 70s and 80s. That was sheer WOW, too.

Years later, when I-III came out, meh. Interesting but wasn't as WOW as "the originals." Over the years, (and watching them all at least once a year), they did hit WOW. It feels the same with LotRs and then The Hobbit. Took me a while to warm up to them, but wow?

(Also, helps to know I didn't care for The Hobbit as a book. Way too much setting with too little action. The movies gave me the WOW of the setting without the tedious read, so I thought it was a good compromise. But, yeah, I hate when they add story lines to the original, as if the original wasn't enough.)

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, Alley said:

Don't tell them I never read it.

Lol, go binge watch the movies.

32 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

Lol, go binge watch the movies.

I don't know how many times I've read LOTR or watched the movies, but this scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

• Like 2

The Theoden scenes were awesome.  The one where they buried his son was, to me, one of the most moving of the movie trilogy.  Him standing there in the front of his son's borrow, talking about the flowers that adorned the tomb, and saying that a father should never bury his son.

It gets me misty just writing about it.

• Like 2

I love all of the LOTR movies. I have the extended version. 

I even like the Hobbit. Great movies. Good old fashion Hero and villains tale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Leone said:

I love all of the LOTR movies. I have the extended version. 

I even like the Hobbit. Great movies. Good old fashion Hero and villains tale.

Got the extended versions too.

The extras were fascinating to watch.

I'm glad the brought in Alan Lee as an artistic consultant.  I've always loved his work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EBraten said:

I don't know how many times I've read LOTR or watched the movies, but this scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it.

Forth! And fear no darkness!

Love it!

• Like 2