Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Dramedy Writer

Wattpad, Medium, regular blog site, or something else?

Hey all, I’m curious to know what you’ve found to be a good outlet for platform building and why. Maybe none of these sites are ideal... Be blessed!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

I've found Bluehost to be a particularly good hosting company, and WordPress to be an easy thing to build a website with.

This is my plan, but I've been wanting to know more about Wattpad also. Some love it, and some hate it. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 2

I wouldn’t advise Wattpad. Unless you’re willing to “publish“ work on there that you can basically never get agented, or might be hard to self–publish. Once people read something online for free, it’s hard to get anyone to pay for it.

My current author website and blog is on WordPress. I like the platform. I also have an author page on Facebook and Twitter. 

Medium can be a good place if you want to write articles for a publication. I started doing this and one publication asked me to be on the editing team! So it can be a good place to yourself out there.

• Like 1

@suspensewriter, I’ve been curious about Bluehost. Is it easy to use?  I’ll look into it.

@Alley, I’ve heard good and bad things about Wattpad as well.

@PenName, thanks for the heads up! I’ve heard that about Wattpad - that if you put a story on there, you’re basically posting an online freebie. If I could write fast to make a freebie worth my while, that could be a good way to attract readers, but I do not write fast, lol.

@Lucian Hodoboc thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dramedy Writer said:

but I do not write fast, lol.

Me neither, lol. 

Thanks!! 😁 Yes, it's worked out well. Thankful to God for sending a friend to recommend the site!

Edited by PenName
  • Like 1

Bluehost is really easy to use as a hosting company.  They have customer service people that actually are very helpful.  And they're WordPress friendly.  

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:45 AM, Alley said:

This is my plan, but I've been wanting to know more about Wattpad also. Some love it, and some hate it. 🤷‍♀️ 

Wattpad can be good and it can be bad. It can get dangerous if you're a reader because some people will use a fake title and cover, but when you click on it...let's just say sometimes they won't give you what you expect. As a writer, it's a good way to get your writing out there, but you have to be careful. (As with all the internet lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Micaiah said:

Wattpad can be good and it can be bad. It can get dangerous if you're a reader because some people will use a fake title and cover, but when you click on it...let's just say sometimes they won't give you what you expect.

Wow.  Thanks for the tip, Micaiah.

Wattpad is like an oriental bazaar.  Humanity is rampant.  Most of it is atrocious, but there are real gems in the corners.  They have a Christian Corner and that is where I met Ella Rose Carlos.  

They boast that authors have been picked up by agents and publishers.  They take a modicum of precautions to protect from piracy, but they can’t do much.  

I love reading raw material, the first fruits of an author’s imagination.  They have stuff there that will never be published but is vastly interesting and entertaining to a weirdo like me.  

• Like 2