Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Jared Williams

Grammar Rules for military titles?

I am uncertain of when to capitalize and when not to capitalize military rank/titles. Do I always capitalize, or if I mention, for instance, 'the sergeant continued' do I capitalize it there? If it is used with the name, I know I'm supposed to capitalize, but as far as the rest of the time, I'm not certain. 

• Like 3

Titles, military or not, are capitalized when they precede a personal name, and are lowercase when used in place of the name, e.g., General Washington, or, the general. These would also apply to the professor, cardinal, senator, etc.

• Like 4

Thank you. That is very helpful. One clarification question, titles like father and mother have similar rules, except if you use the word as the name, like a child who uses the title as a name. Would that be true for this? Like for instance if someone were to say "Come here, Sergeant." would that be correct? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jared Williams said:

"Come here, Sergeant." would that be correct? 

That feels like it has to be right, to me. Someone with military experience may be able to clarify. 

"Come here, Sergeant Schultz."

"Come here, sergeant."

Most book publishers will adhere to CMOS, whereas most periodicals adhere to the AP style guide. Check with the individual publisher's style guidelines to be sure though, but give priority to their own style exceptions that they specify.

From CMOS, 16th Ed:

2141831439_MilitaryTitles.png.b0f7c12c8647f8d6eee73e6c0142f7c2.png

Edited by Wes B
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, Jared Williams said:

Like for instance if someone were to say "Come here, Sergeant." would that be correct? 

I'm not sure that this section of CMOS answers this question. 

I cannot find such a rule in my CMOS, however, since the title is being used as a name in conversation, my advice (after spending half an our looking through the CMOS index) would be to capitalize the title because it is serving as a name. I'm willing to yield to anyone with a better index.