Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Bob Leone

Is my protagonist going to die??

Have you ever gotten your protagonist in a situation where you can't see anyway for him/her to find a way out?

Do what Disney, Sony, and every other movie company does: insert time travel or the Multiverse.

Boom!  Problem solved!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

insert time travel or the Multiverse.

Nice thought but won’t work in my situation. 

Hmmm interesting problem.  Without knowing the genre or any more information than the first post, I have found myself in the past writing myself to a dead end.

Is all of this unpublished so far or is there parts published? 
If you can edit.  The unpublished parts to include a way out?  Just add little bit like a sentence here or there.

I guess I am a plantser which means to me that I write at the seat of my pants but when I do not write I plan in my daydreams.  I also do not mind going back through my work to add a sentence or so that will help the story flow better I hop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

Do what Disney, Sony, and every other movie company does: insert time travel or the Multiverse.

Boom!  Problem solved!

Or even have the multiverse reinvent itself every so often. That tends to muddle up the plot some though.  Though even with that plot device the main story themes need to stay similar or cost the audience and fandom.

Of course that all depends on the genre written.  Historically accurate fiction is not the same as time travel back into history.

• Like 1

If Real Life just came with an eraser, we'd all be doing so much better...

With your characters, the eraser is there. Revise! Figure out what they shoulda done, or what special circumstances shoulda been there., and put it in there.

Better yet, make that "shoulda" to be something the reader will have forgotten about; then your previous mistake becomes brilliant plotting, when they unexpectedly escape from an "impossible" situation...

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 1

Nonsense.  A Multiverse or time travel solves every problem!  From fiction to cookbooks!

On a more serious note: maybe think about an event that should happen, but somehow doesn't.  Like a timebomb that doesn't go off.

'Cause, you know, that sorta happens sometimes.  It then opens up a whole new avenue.

• Like 1

I've had this, not with my protagonist but with a secondary character that I had really come to like. My solution: kill him anyway.

When it's your protagonist, however... They do kinda need to survive 

Edited by Claire Tucker
Typo
  • Like 1

Of course, something bizarre I thought of that might or might not work depending on the genre.  Let the character “die” but the EMS (or other explanation) bring the character back to life.  That is apparently used a lot in soap operas, I think as I do not watch them.   They are usually on when I am not at home.

I saw a movie with that premise, but I forgot its name.  Basically an atheist “dies” in a car accident that was his fault because he was drunk while driving.  He is rushed to the hospital where they did something that brought him back to life.  He had a near death experience with seeing his dead son before brought back to life.  I think that movie was called something about let there be light. Unless it was a different movie with same actor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:
On 1/10/2020 at 8:07 AM, Claire Tucker said:

My solution: kill him anyway.

Okay, this is too funny

This is the only thing going through my head now! 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, Bob Leone said:

Have you ever gotten your protagonist in a situation where you can't see anyway for him/her to find a way out?

So...ummm...did he die?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

So...ummm...did he die?

No, he didn’t die. It was interesting how it happened. @Alley suggested brainstorming. So I got all of my characters together and started writing what they would say. After two pages they came up with their own solution. The solution is Diversion! 

Edited by Bob Leone
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Leone said:

No, he didn’t die. It was interesting how it happened. @Alley suggested brainstorming. So I got all of my characters together and started writing what they would say. After two pages they came up with their own solution. The solution is Diversion! 

Wonderful! Love it when my characters have minds of their own! 😁

• Like 1