Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ. 

Not one to mince words - I'm a historical fiction writer and I'm looking for a crit partner. My book is about a ship that wrecked in 1552 off the South African shore and the 500 survivors who had to walk 900+ km to the nearest watering port. Along the way, they starved, were attacked by wild animals and natives and their numbers were decimated by disease. Only 25 survivors made it to Mozambique.

That's the short of it.   

• Like 4

Welcome, JukieJ! 🙂 It's great to meet you. Sounds like an interesting story!

• Like 2

Welcome, it's nice to meet you! 

That sounds like a fascinating story. 😊 

• Like 2

Welcome to our writing family, Jukie. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JukieJ said:

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ. 

Not one to mince words - I'm a historical fiction writer and I'm looking for a crit partner. My book is about a ship that wrecked in 1552 off the South African shore and the 500 survivors who had to walk 900+ km to the nearest watering port. Along the way, they starved, were attacked by wild animals and natives and their numbers were decimated by disease. Only 25 survivors made it to Mozambique.

That's the short of it.   

Welcome! Enjoy your time in the community!

• Like 2

Hi JukieJ, welcome to Christianwriters! It is great to meet you, and have you here!

• Like 2

Hi @JukieJ!! Wow, your book sounds amazing. Can't wait to read it!! 

From all of us here, welcome aboard and God Bless!! We are all very happy you joined us. 😊😊

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, Claire Tucker said:

Where in SA? I'm in KZN :)

Wooohooo, that's awesome, Claire. Sorry, I haven't been at my laptop in a while. Where in KZN? I'm from Polokwane. What do you write?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JukieJ said:

Where in KZN?

Ladysmith. 

13 hours ago, JukieJ said:

What do you write?

At the moment I'm working on a fantasy story. I am keen to try my hand at historical fiction, and sometimes I write contemporary short stories. 

• Like 1

Awesome. So glad to know there is another South African on the forum. Historical fiction makes me happy, but it doesn't seem to sell well in SA. How far along are you with your fantasy story?

• Like 1

I've just started the second draft. Only got about 2 scenes down. I hope to be done by the end of April, but I do have a lot of other things on the go, so might not be able to. 

• Like 2

Welcome! And wow! That's an incredible story! Best of luck with it! I wish I could say I could help, but historical fiction seriously intimidates me, which is one of the reasons why I make up from scratch what I write - as long as I'm consistent, no one can prove me wrong, right? But even though I'm too chicken to attempt writing it, I very much admire historical fiction authors! Also, shout-out to SA! I've never been there (yet), but one of my friends just got engaged in Johannesburg.

• Like 2

Hi there Sara. For sure you could help 😁, writers must be of the most critical people I know of. That's a good thing (re writing). We help each other that way.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:48 AM, Sara Nicole said:

historical fiction seriously intimidates me, which is one of the reasons why I make up from scratch what I write - as long as I'm consistent, no one can prove me wrong, right?

That's interesting. I'm the other way around. I'm not so good at making up things from scratch, to be honest. I like that historical fiction offers you a framework, some sort of structure to start with. You can always choose how much or how little of it you want to use. With a story like this, I wanted to use as much of the points on the timeline as I could - political situation being a never ending story in SA. If people (all over the world) could realise that history is actually on a time loop and that everything that happens is nothing new really, then maybe we could learn from past mistakes and make less mistakes in the future.

Take this story, for example. One very important thing that the Portuguese shipwrecked survivors did not understand about the culture of Africa that it is good manners to give a gift to the people who host you whereas in western culture, the emphasis is more on the visitor, the visitor is entertained by the host. Do you agree, Claire?

Not knowing such a simple thing had devastating consequences on that group of castaways. So what I would like readers to ask themselves is... Whose fault was it? Whose fault was it to not know about the culture of the other and who should have conceded and said, "Okay, we'll do things your way"? 

Plus, it's a bit of an important story because SA was colonised in 1662. Very few people know about the shipwreck, and those survivors were the first Europeans to travel though the country. 

Anyway. I guess I do mince words. 

As far as anyone proving you wrong, well, the beautiful thing about historical fiction is that it's fiction. 

On 1/18/2020 at 6:48 AM, Sara Nicole said:

I've never been there (yet),

You should visit us. The currency's shot so it should be a really cheap holiday  😁😭  (there is no emoji for "let's laugh about the situation until we cry" but that's what we do. And we pray)     

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JukieJ said:

I'm the other way around. I'm not so good at making up things from scratch, to be honest. I like that historical fiction offers you a framework, some sort of structure to start with.

That's awesome! I love how God has gifted us all differently and put different passions inside our hearts! It sure makes life more interesting!

I totally agree with you about the time loop! What you said sounds just like what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 1:9-11. I'm very intrigued by your story and your purpose in writing it! It sounds great! South Africa is a fascinating country with a fascinating history, and I'd love to learn more about it.

I've heard modern stories about difficulties handling the differences in culture in other countries. For example, in certain place in the Middle East, if you compliment your host on an item he possesses, he will offer to give it to you, even if it is his most valued possession. When you decline, he will offer it again. If you decline again, he will offer it to you insistently. According to culture, he will offer it to you with very insistent and sincere words three times, and if you decline graciously three times, he will drop the matter and all will be well. But if you don't know that and fear you will dishonor him by refusing, you might accept the item from him. This actually happened. A visitor was offered a family heirloom by a gracious host and accepted it out of fear of insulting the host. The host was honor-bound to give him the heirloom and did so with no bitterness or ill will. But the host's son, who was to inherit the valuable item, became very upset. The host then became upset with the son for dishonoring the family by inhospitality. It turned into a giant mess, all because the visitor was trying not to offend anyone but was unaware of the proper way to act in that particular culture. It's tough! And in your story, in 1552, they didn't have internet to research the area/people's cultures!

The story I just told, though, was a plain case of ignorance, not pigheadedness. The visitor was trying not to be offensive and accidentally caused great offense. But there are also stories of altercations that began and were perpetuated because people were stubborn, prideful, and unwilling to be observant, gracious, and try to look from the other person's point of view. It's always sad when there's a tragedy that clearly could have been prevented by having Christ's humble attitude instead of arrogance. And you're absolutely right that we should learn from such stories and not make the same terrible mistakes.

11 hours ago, JukieJ said:

You should visit us. The currency's shot so it should be a really cheap holiday  😁😭  (there is no emoji for "let's laugh about the situation until we cry" but that's what we do. And we pray) 

I'd love to visit someday! I'm so sorry your currency is low. That's difficult. I love your perspective, though! I will also pray.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sara Nicole said:

I love how God has gifted us all differently and put different passions inside our hearts! It sure makes life more interesting!

Yes, we serve an awesome God. 

A visitor was offered a family heirloom by a gracious host and accepted it out of fear of insulting the host. The host was honor-bound to give him the heirloom and did so with no bitterness or ill will. But the host's son, who was to inherit the valuable item, became very upset. The host then became upset with the son for dishonoring the family by inhospitality. It turned into a giant mess, all because the visitor was trying not to offend anyone but was unaware of the proper way to act in that particular culture.

That's a terrible story 😁 😭

I will also pray.

Thank you very much. 

So glad so have met you online

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:37 AM, JukieJ said:

Do you agree, Claire?

Yep. Just look at the Basotho courtship rituals. It starts with a gift to the father, then they meet (and another gift is given), before the young man even gets to meet the girl. 

On 1/20/2020 at 9:37 AM, JukieJ said:

(there is no emoji for "let's laugh about the situation until we cry" but that's what we do. And we pray)     

This is one thing South Africans are really good at: laughing in the face of a bad situation.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sara Nicole said:

I'd love to visit someday! I'm so sorry your currency is low

Well, like JukieJ said, it will be a cheap holiday for you :D

And in all honesty, SA is a beautiful country. As diverse in her landforms and climates as her people and cultures are. 

• Like 1