Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Publishing too early is a hazard of our career balancing beam. When we want to profit from all our mistakes, how do we do a do-over? 

What if you want to restart your career under a new name?

What if you are female and want to take a male name, because you discovered that males are more respected in the genre you are writing in?  

What if you want to write more in a series and want to publish a previously self-published book under your new name?  

I am in touch with a writer who is asking these questions.  She has been abused by Christian readers for writing outside "Christian conventions" though she is a believer, therefore she is shy to ask for herself, to join an on line Christian community.  I still hope she'll see how friendly this particular community is!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nicola said:
  1. What if you want to restart your career under a new name?
  2. What if you are female and want to take a male name, because you discovered that males are more respected in the genre you are writing in?  
  3. What if you want to write more in a series and want to publish a previously self-published book under your new name?
  1. Go for it.
  2. Go for it.
  3. I think it depends on how successful the previously published book was. If it didn't sell well, it's a risk, but a small one. I'd probably (say it with me) go for it. ;)
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Publishing too early is a hazard of our career balancing beam. When we want to profit from all our mistakes, how do we do a do-over? 

Been there, done that. :$  One of the advantages of self-publishing is that it's very easy to upload a new revision. I put my first book through a much needed revision a couple of years after it was first released. Not ideal, because it's always best to get a manuscript right on the first try, but a good option to have just in case.

What if you want to restart your career under a new name?

People use pen-names all the time. It shouldn't be a problem, aside from the effort of rebuilding a fan-base from scratch. 

What if you are female and want to take a male name, because you discovered that males are more respected in the genre you are writing in?  

It's been done many times (both ways). Nothing new about it.

What if you want to write more in a series and want to publish a previously self-published book under your new name?  

I think you can reassign a pen-name to existing books, and continue to release new ones. Not sure how hard that would be as I've never done it before.

She has been abused by Christian readers for writing outside "Christian conventions" though she is a believer, therefore she is shy to ask for herself, to join an on line Christian community.

Again, been there, done that, and have the scathing one-star reviews from these crusaders to prove it.  I don't think she would experience a hard time around here, although it's a possibility. That's the nature of our profession. She can always pick out a screen-name that doesn't reveal her identity like I have. Although my reason for doing this is mainly to avoid the appearance of using this forum to market my books.  

Edited by Accord64
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Johne said:
  • Go for it.
  • Go for it.
  • I think it depends on how successful the previously published book was. If it didn't sell well, it's a risk, but a small one. I'd probably (say it with me) go for it. ;)

Thanks Johne!  That is a very positive response!    

Thank you also, Accord64.  I was not as encouraging, but I'll pass this on to her. 

1 minute ago, Accord64 said:

Been there, done that. :$  One of the advantages of self-publishing is that it's very easy to upload a new revision, . I put my first book through a much needed revision a couple of years after it was first released. Not ideal, because it's always best to get a manuscript right on the first try, but a good option to have just in case.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nicola said:

I am in touch with a writer who is asking these questions.  She has been abused by Christian readers for writing outside "Christian conventions" though she is a believer, therefore she is shy to ask for herself, to join an on line Christian community.  I still hope she'll see how friendly this particular community is!  

Well, I think so long as get first post in the Critique section it isn't thirty, forty, or fifty shades of gray-ish, I think she'll be fine.

I think the point is that we as Christians should be helping people move towards God, and not away.  Sometimes it's baby steps as opposed to grand leaps of faith.

(What were the descriptions for gray again in the Color Guild?) 

• Like 1

Got for it from me too.

I self published my first full length novel and in respect it was a draft or two too early. I also did it under my (then)  married name.  Now i write under my family name. So no issue there and of course they could use a pen-name which many authors do.

I'm really sorry to hear they have had a hard time from other Christians. As John 14 says 'there is room for ever one.' I doubt if they would get a hard time here other than honest critiques on their writing.  My work wouldn't get off the slush pile of most Christian Agents even though it is conservative by secular standards and I have posted it up here without any quibbles.

I'd say, take a deep breath and go for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nicola said:

1. When we want to profit from all our mistakes, how do we do a do-over? 

2. What if you want to restart your career under a new name?

3. What if you are female and want to take a male name, because you discovered that males are more respected in the genre you are writing in?  

4. What if you want to write more in a series and want to publish a previously self-published book under your new name?  

1. Easy answer. My mistake was to ask my entire list of possible agents to represent me, and didn't get a single Yes. So, was it a mistake to ask every single agent? Meh. Maybe. Probably. I don't know, EXCEPT I'm in my do-over, and have no regrets I screwed up. How can you regret screwing up, if you aren't even sure you screwed up? BUT, I didn't get the outcome I wanted, so definitely in do-over stage right now.

Honestly? “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Rom. 8:28) I've never been one to get it right the first time, but boy, God sure teaches loads through failure. So, okay dokey. I keep going.

2 and 3. Kind of two side with this one. I don't expect to ever become famous. Then again, if I accidentally do, I also still want to go grocery shopping with hubby without everyone running up to me and... well, whatever people do when they run up to famous people. I like grocery shopping. I don't like being famous, so already picked out a pen name. (Also, kind of think that's dumb, because I tell everyone about my story, so if anyone reads it, they'll know me anyway.)

But, I am a woman. And it does bother me that people still judge us by our gender. Okay. No doubt. If you need to be pulled out of a burning building, you'd much rather have a man help than me, but writing? Writing isn't one of those things where men, or woman, are better. Different, but not better. And, as JK Rowling's proved, not all that different either. As JK Rowling's already proved too, yeah, people have it in their head that some genres are best done by certain genders, UNTIL someone from the other gender proves that a bad assumption. (Hey. Men are doing well with romance lately. Not like I haven't had that same dumb assumption. But, I truly think it's time to drop the assumptions, instead of hope three more people might buy our books if they thought we were men.)

But, here I am getting all opinionated about something, when I already told I'm going to use a pen name. Oh yeah. And it's a female name in a genre usually written by females. so opinion is just that opinion. We all have one. Don't worry about others. Do what you think is good for you. As long as it's not against God's way, (and there are no laws on pen names. The closest we get is, we all know Paul's original name was Saul), it's up to us.

4. Answering from experience. Don't! I once published an article I wrote under this name. (BTW, Spaulding is my teddy bear and protagonist. Everyone but the IRS and bank calls me Lynn. Lynn is my nickname. Don't like my legal name, but I have used Spaulding for decades now.) Years later, I copy-and-pasted the same article on a social media site. Honest. I wrote it and then used it again years later. Then I was called a plagiarist, because somewhere between the time I first published it and then, others did plagiarize it, and I had to track them down to tell them to stop. A royal mess. Really annoying since it was my writing all along. But, trust me. If someone ever has anything against you, they can drag you through the mud faster than a dog can find a meaty bone. Never swap names for the same writing.

(See? I told you the Lord teaches me much from my failures. 🤭)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spaulding said:

If you need to be pulled out of a burning building, you'd much rather have a man help than me,

If I'm in a burning building and need help getting out- I wouldn't care what gender you were, Spaulding.  And I think that the majority of writers today are women, so you might find the occasional odd ball who judges on genders, but nowadays, they are few and far between.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

If I'm in a burning building and need help getting out- I wouldn't care what gender you were, Spaulding

And most of the women who are firefighters these days are capable of pulling you out. A four-hundred pound person, maybe not, but some men would have trouble with that too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was young and strong, I was 5'11" and had to move packages up to 70 pounds. (Just the person who got smaller orders out at a lighting and electric outlet factory. Definitely not UPS-capable.) Now I'm 1.5 inches shorter and quite a lot weaker. I think I could carry a beagle down six flights of stairs. Know I couldn't take a rottweiler that far, once more an average, (or even small), adult.

The concept that women firefighters are equal in strength to male firefighters is propaganda. Suing has removed common sense in many, many ways in this country.

https://nypost.com/2015/05/05/fdnys-unfit-the-perils-of-pushing-women-into-firefighting/

But, writers? That is where gender rarely matters. That's one area where it might change the internals of character-driven, but in good ways. Ways that make for good reading either gender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1