Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Thousands of once copyrighted works now in public domain

Thousands of once copyrighted works now in public domain

Here's a portion...

Among the liberated are musical compositions like George Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue,” films like Buster Keaton’s Sherlock, Jr. and books like E.M. Forster’s A Passage to India. Now, anyone—from historians to recording artists to iPhone-savvy middle schoolers—can make these works and more their own with annotations, additions and modifications. They can even profit from them, if they so choose.

Above and beyond rehashing old content, the lifting of copyright protections intends to inspire a new generation—not to dwell in the past, but to legally draw from and build upon it, explains Balfour Smith, program coordinator of Duke University’s Center for the Study of the Public Domain, in a blog post. Perhaps it’s fitting, then, that some of the newly released works were themselves based on predecessors in the public domain. The silent film Dante’s Inferno, for instance, blends elements from Dante’s Divine Comedy and Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.

The beginning of 2020 marks a time when “anyone can rediscover or breathe new life” into a new treasure trove of past works, Jennifer Jenkins, director of the Center for the Study of the Public Domain, tells Tanzina Vega of WNYC.

• Like 1

I don't have the time to check through the list, but I hope that more Grace Livingston Hill books will be available!

I've heard we're going to see a backlog of public domain come 2024 until Disney figures out how to protect Mickey Mouse, but for now, we're moving along nicely!

On 1/6/2020 at 12:41 AM, EBraten said:

I don't have the time to check through the list, but I hope that more Grace Livingston Hill books will be available!

I came across this link for Grace's books. :)

• Like 1

Thanks, @lynnmosher. That's my go-to site for public domain books, and it's where I've found all the Grace Livingston Hill I've read. But I notice that they've put up a new one since I last visited: The Big Blue Soldier. Awesome! I know how I'll be rewarding myself once I'm done with my WIP. 😁