Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Could these Smart Devices Understand Our Southern Accents?

Loved it!! That was absolutely hilarious!!!!!

One thing I love about the English language is how flexible it is. (Alexa and Siri may still have sm' catchin' up ta do...)

If you switch vowels around a bit in English, you've usually just created a new accent, and you'll be understood, just fine. (Most of the time...) In some languages, like French, you change a vowel even a little bit, and you're very often saying completely different words, and you'e not understood at all.

Our language is one crazy, mixed-up mish-mash, but I just love it...

BTW... my accent is from the American NAWTH, and Google has just as much trouble understanding me...

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 2

This makes me so glad that I don't have any Alexa kind of device.  I'd rather talk with actual people who are actually thinking, and have actual conversations with them.

If I want information about anything, I just click on google, search.  When it goes to the website I've chosen, I write the questions instead of speak them.  Then I read the printed answers, instead of listen to what's spoken, which I'd probably forget.  It's so much easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, William D'Andrea said:

This makes me so glad that I don't have any Alexa kind of device.  I'd rather talk with actual people who are actually thinking, and have actual conversations with them.

If I want information about anything, I just click on google, search.  When it goes to the website I've chosen, I write the questions instead of speak them.  Then I read the printed answers, instead of listen to what's spoken, which I'd probably forget.  It's so much easier.

I'm with you! We don't have Alexa or anything like that - or her, whatever - in our home either. She's creepy. 😬

• Like 2

It's creepier than we might think. The only way it can recognize a phrase like "Okay Alexa," so it can start listening to you, is for it to digitize every sound, every word, that happens in the room, and transmit it to their servers. It's there that the sounds are analyzed, to figure out whether it's supposed to give you any response.

Think about that... your room is being bugged, 24/7, so it can spot the sounds, "Okay, Alexa." Chances are pretty good that no private information is being recorded, but the possibilities for abuse are enormous, and it's only a matter of time before some tech with no sense of ethics starts listening in on somebody...

• Like 2

When my mom types my sister's husband's name Arsenio on Facebook her Ipad it comes out Arsenic and she usually does not catch it.

• Like 2