Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Nailed The Ending!

So last week I came up with a beginning sentence and paragraph which works (after nineteen failed attempts), and this morning I came up with a hard Twist ending which also works. This is the very last thing that happens in the novel in the Resolution section, the very last thing the reader experiences before wondering if there will be a sequel. I dreamt the idea this morning and it's been kicking around in my head as I puttered around house in the beginning of my Christmas break.

As you may know, Linda isn't a reader and doesn't care for genre stories as a general rule, so getting any kind of feedback from her is an accomplishment. Most of what I get is disinterest, and that's fine. It makes getting a genuine response all the sweeter.

Linda got home this afternoon and I told her this ending. She's guarded when I talk to her about the novel these days - she just wants it to be done - but when I told her this ending, her jaw dropped Wide Open for a good four seconds. Her eyes were wide and I haven't seen her this astonished in forever. "Oh, that's GOOD. Yeah, that works," my little hostile witness said.

I will remember that look for the rest of my life. So, yeah, making headway, still aiming to get the novel out to Beta readers in time for Christmas.
image.png.a3eb76a78502f79da9547e7e49300b21.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Erin Cook said:

Maybe a plot like this will stimulate a new passion in your wife for reading. 😂

Hahaha 
No. (We have an agreement - I don't bug her about not reading, and she doesn't bug me about not learning how to crochet.) ;)

I love that she has her passions, and I love that she supports me with mine. I don't push my luck beyond that. (I read her my best snippets over lunch a couple of times per week when I take her out to eat and her unbiased, unvarnished feedback is golden. If something's not working, she's really candid and that's super helpful. It's good when I can make her laugh, and great when I can make her gasp. Making her cry is one of my favorite writerly moments ever.) :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Johne said:

I love that she has her passions, and I love that she supports me with mine. I don't push my luck beyond that.

Awesome! That's such a blessing. My husband isn't keen on romance, which is what I'm writing at the moment, but he is my biggest support in my indie-publishing venture.

• Like 2

That's great to hear Johne.  As EBraten says it is a blessing to have someone who is honest as well as supportive.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Johne said:

she doesn't bug me about not learning how to crochet.

Crocheting gives you the ability to make your Christmas stocking just the right size. ;)

IMG_0762.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Hey, Johne, by the way, what was the ending?🙂

The ending is a callback to the very beginning and is surprising yet completely logical. Linda's jaw dropped physically open and yet she said it did follow and did make sense. (I'll be looking for Beta readers shortly if you're interested in an early look at how things work out.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Sure, I would be please to do it!

You're signed up for my newsletter / email list. I'll post something there when I'm ready for Beta readers. It should be very soon, a couple of days at the most. And, thanks!