Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Horses for Courses

I know we have discussed how we each approach outlining our work using various methods. including save the cat beat story or Story Grid Foolscap methods.

I used the Beat Sheet for 'Demons' but thought I would have a go at the Story Grid for my current WIP. Got the book, thanks to Johne, got the templates for the Foolscap and off I went.

Have to say, it did my head in. It wasn't a millon miles away from the BS and but the terminology I found difficult.  So I went back to the Beat Sheet and wrote out the first part of 'Child of No One' (now drafted) to see if I was just being dumb. Did that no problem. I then tried to take what I had written on the BS and plot it down using the 'Beginning Hook, categories. Brick wall time.

Now, here is the interesting thing - my adult son, who is a very logical thinker and interest in screenwriter and use the BS, sat down with my BS for 'Child' and transposed it on to the Story Grid Foolscap in no time. He got it ( and now has borrowed my book :) ) 

What can be drawn from this? -  Possible that my works in mysterious ways. 😂 The obvious thing is that what works for one person doesn't always work for another. However, now he has shown me how it work I am going give the Story Grid another try but definitely keep with the Beat Sheet.

• Like 1

I think whichever system you choose, and you seem to be favoring the Beat Sheet right now, is fine as long as you write!  Or go back and forth, or, as I have done, use them as long as long as you can and if they get in the way- ditch them!  But always, always keep writing Shamrock.  The world would be the poorer if you did not write.

• Like 3

😄 Thank you Suspensewriter. That very kind of you.

I spent this evening reading more of SG book and getting some ideas down for the 'middle bit. Will ping pong between the two methods but you are right _ I do favour the beat sheet.

Like @suspensewriter, I use several methods. I'm currently outlining and have borrowed practices from the Snowflake Method, Story Genius, Take Off Your Pants, The Story Grid, Romancing the Beat, Write Your Novel from the Middle, and Save the Cat Writes a Novel. Basically, each method gives me a slightly different angle from which to approach my story development. I'm sure I could manage with far fewer, but I like how the different tools jog my brain in different ways.

After my first draft is done, I'll Story Grid it and run it through Matt Bird's The Secrets of Story checklist, just as touchstones to ensure that I'm not missing anything major.

Basically, use what helps you and don't worry about using two methods. Just like you said, horses for courses.

Wow!  Way to go, EBraten!  I wish you and Shamrock ever success!  It's nice to see that you're working hard on your stories- I can't tell you what a pleasure that is.

• Thanks 1