Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Have you cut the cable cord?

On 12/8/2019 at 11:44 AM, William D'Andrea said:

I remember when I was a boy in the 1950s, we actually had to get up off our back ends and walk all the way to the television.  Then, once we finally got there, we actually had to switch it on and change the channels with our bare hands.  Here in the New York Metropolitan Area, there were only about half a dozen channels.  Then, after we got all that done, we had to walk all the way back to the couch, but when we finally sat down, we had a sense of accomplishment.  After that, we had to constantly go back and adjust the antenna, sound, etc.

Now, I have potential access to more than 1900 channels, along with all the options that are being stated here; with nothing I want to see on any of them.

Boy, you had it good! We had four channels, including PBS, and since Sesame Street wouldn't be around for another 10 years, what was the purpose of PBS anyway? xD

And you got to turn on the TV and then sit down again? I was 3-of-3, therefore I was the one who got the job of holding the rabbit ears just right, balancing on one foot, or moving my hands all around until Richie Ashburn finished whatever he was doing. (Rarely did I get to watch TV while playing the part of rabbit ears, so I heard it was Richie Ashburn. Just didn't get to see him doing whatever he did for the Phillies. lol)

By the time 4-of-4 came along, Sesame Street did start, color TV finally came into our home, and roof antennas worked, so he didn't get my job as rabbit ears when it was his turn. lol

• Like 1

At the risk of dating myself... 😆

Back when I was a kid we had the huge TVs that had two dials, one on top of the other. I remember one of them was channel U, and that typically had the good stuff.

If we got up early enough on Saturday morning and stayed quiet, my brother and I could watch cartoons until our parents woke up and came downstairs (usually around 9:00am).

My favorites were Scooby Doo and the Smurfs. My brother liked He-Man and Voltron. We also watched Super Friends, which was Super-Man, Wonder Woman, Aqua Man and a few others.

My parents held out forever and wouldn't get cable, so I was deprived of MTV when I was a teen and had to go over to my friends' house or on babysitting jobs to watch. This was back in the day, when MTV had music videos and was actually worth watching. 😄

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but all the talk of limited channels brought back the memories! lol!

image.png

• Like 2

You know, you're watching TV and it doesn't matter if it's roku, hulu, or you tube unless it's over the antenna you're still connected to a cable. Because you can't do that without the internet.

if it's over air antenna the choice is pretty limited (in my area anyway).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Spaulding said:

I was the one who got the job of holding the rabbit ears just right, balancing on one foot, or moving my hands all around

LOL What a picture in my head! xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

What's really weird at our house is we have three of those square, flat antennas that can be stuck to a window, a wall, or whatever. And they don't all receive the same things! And two are at the back of the house facing the same direction! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is the kind of TV I grew up with. Black and white. three channels. My father put a sheet of blue and green cellophane over the screen for color TV. Sometimes it matched up, with the green on the bottom and blue on the top for the sky.

image.png.47b94c05ff5f72e8dc3cb442b28cccd5.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rebecca said:

At the risk of dating myself... 😆

Yup! You dated yourself. You're "the kid." You're 4-of-4's age, aka my "little  brothers" age. (And he hasn't been little in 40 years. lol) And I know most of the shows you grew up on because I was his babysitter as a teenager, so learned the secret to keep him happy -- TV. Of course, there was one show I didn't want him to watch, so he might have been the only kid his age that didn't fall in love with Mr. Roger or his neighborhood. :$ (Zoom was better anyway. xD

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Geography related. Since signals go through the air, there can't be anything that blocks it, like mountains or trees. I live in Philly, so the signals are originating no more than 5 miles from my home, and it's fairly flat land around here, so no problems for us. Matter of fact, no problems for people using antennas along the Jersey Shore, it's so flat, geographically. But Dad lived in the woods a county north of Philly, (half the distance of the shore as the crow flies), and therefore needed cable.

• Like 1

While we had many difficulties with early TV sets, I remember some very memorable shows that were broadcast on them.

There was Ed Sullivan; Jackie Gleason in The Honeymooners; Father Knows Best; I Remember Mama; Life with Father; Danny Thomas, Dragnet with Jack Web; The Lone Ranger; Roy Rodgers; Gene Autry; My Little Margie; along with many other top quality shows, with top quality actors and actresses.   I don't know if I should mention Amos and Andy.  While it was extremely racist, it was still a top quality show, with many top quality black actors and actresses.

I also remember watching News Programs in the early fifties.  That included the original Today Show with Dave Garoway.  

Also major public events.  I actually remember watching the Joe McCarthy Congressional Hearings.  I was 7 years old at the time, listening to the grown ups, who were talking about things I didn't understand.  So I was totally bored.  Now I am 74 years old, and I do know what everyone at the Impeachment Hearings is talking about.  It seems to me that they are the ones haven't grown up.

I also remember watching the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. Of all the people who I used to watch on my very first TV set, after 67 years she's the only one who still appears on whatever device anyone is watching.

"Long Live the Queen!"  Indeed!    

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

Guest N R
On 12/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, lynnmosher said:

How many of you have cut the TV cable?

eleven years ago. Haven't looked back. I have a small black and white TV in the attic for a video surveillance system we used to have, and that's all I have for a TV.

I'm overseas in the Middle East and, instead of paying for local cable, use Netflix, Amazon Prime and, now, Apple TV+. I also have a smart TV which has a few Android-compatible programs and can play Netflix, etc.

• Like 1

We dumped cable years ago.  Started with Roku and never went back.  We have Netflix, Sling, and Amazon.  And the irony is...I rarely watch TV these days.

It is what it is...

• Like 1