Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Have you cut the cable cord?

Another thread (Alley's 3 hr. Christmas music) made me think. How many of you have cut the TV cable? What have you used to replace it? Have you paid for any other service? Thought we might share what we've found that might be helpful to others.

We have Roku and our son pays for Sling (for 4 users). On Roku, there are so many free options. Will be back with some suggestions. :D

• Like 2

On Roku, we installed Pluto TV (free). It has hundreds of stations. There's a dedicated James Bond station, a dedicated Midsomer Murders (British), children's programs, movies of all kinds, news, music, etc. And right now, there are a couple of dedicated Christmas channels plus a Christmas fireplace. It's great except you cannot see what is on after about 3-4 hours. But the selections are generous. 

We also have antennae.

Roku itself has free movies, TV, some live streaming (usually not free), You can also add paid channels like Hallmark, Smithsonian, noggin, sports, etc.

Some channels require a cable subscription, such as internet. Not necessarily TV.

*Roku channel itself has movies, TV

*Vudu: free movies and TV

*all kinds of cartoons

*nick jr (not live)

*Disney Now

*Freeform: movies and shows

*popcornflix and popcornflix kids: one of the top movie and TV channels

*tubi: movies and TV

*Hallmark Movies Now: not current movies

*Fandango: new release and catalog movies, next-day TV shows

*Watch TCM: Turner Classic movies

*Animal Planet

*Nat Geo TV

*old western channels, old TV, and so much more.

Thought maybe this might add a little variety to your watching. :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

nick jr (not live)

*Disney Now

If using a Ruko, these only have one or two episodes open per month before a different one opens. Plus, they don't always have the shows you want. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was taken off recently, along with Milo Murphy's Law. My kids were very disappointed! 

4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Animal Planet

*Nat Geo TV

I can't make these work on Ruko. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lynnmosher said:

Sorry, they took off those programs. I wonder why.

Disney is gearing up to start their own streaming service to compete with Netflix. They want you to get that. 

• Like 2

We have Roku, Sling, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. With all that, we're stall paying a lot less per month than we were with satellite TV.

• Like 2

I still have cable.

I called up comcast (xfinity) and said how much it would be if I just had internet and no cable TV.

They said with the bundle I have (Internet, TV, telephone) that I would only save $60 a month.

So I decided to keep it until the bundle deal runs out.

All my children (5) have cut cable out of their lives. They have netflix and those with kids also have Disney Plus. They keep telling me to cut the cable. Next year maybe.

• Like 1

I remember when I was a boy in the 1950s, we actually had to get up off our back ends and walk all the way to the television.  Then, once we finally got there, we actually had to switch it on and change the channels with our bare hands.  Here in the New York Metropolitan Area, there were only about half a dozen channels.  Then, after we got all that done, we had to walk all the way back to the couch, but when we finally sat down, we had a sense of accomplishment.  After that, we had to constantly go back and adjust the antenna, sound, etc.

Now, I have potential access to more than 1900 channels, along with all the options that are being stated here; with nothing I want to see on any of them.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Wow! Rebecca, you must have been paying A LOT! :oops:

Oh yeah. I think we pay like $60/mo now, and DirecTV we were paying about $160/mo. I just asked hubby to confirm those numbers. He did, and then commented that he's just sorry we didn't make the switch sooner! :D

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 6:03 PM, Alley said:

Disney is gearing up to start their own streaming service to compete with Netflix. They want you to get that. 

It is here and it is glorious. I am fully Disney-zombified.

Through my Roku, I have Disney+, Netflix, Hulu with Live TV Streaming (best investment ever, even has DVR), Philo, and Amazon Prime Video.

Edited by PenName
  • Like 2

I dropped the TV part from a CharterTV/phone/internet bundle.   Saved a bundle.   Bought Amazon Fire TV.  Since I use Amazon Prime for buying, Prime movies are free.    For the  internet streaming, I subscribe to the higher-end Hulu.  I still save a good deal, but the Hulu costs keep inching up, so I'm looking for alternatives.   With all I have, it is frustrating that a lot of AMC and Turner Classic movies can only be gotten at a cost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

With all I have, it is frustrating that a lot of AMC and Turner Classic movies can only be gotten at a cost.

With TCM and AMC on Roku, there are a ton of free movies. To sign in, you need a connection to cable (for internet) and have you to have your password. Unfortunately, we don't know our password and need to figure out how to change it to get in. :(

• Like 2

What I always missed most about no cable was the lack of "wallpaper" channels. All news, all weather, and all sports are now available stations on streaming services.

• Like 2

We gave up cable when they raised the price to $35 a month. (1990s.) We've been using an antenna ever since.

But we also stream. Prime and Hulu. Our TV is Roku, (never buy a Roku TV), so we can get movies sometimes on Roku too. And occasionally we splurge and rent a movie through Red Box.

Same movies are often available through Prime too, but it irks us that we have to pay them for the service, and then more for the movie, so we use Red Box.

Still will not go over $35 a month, but a new problem is developing. Our antenna is going. When was the last time you tried getting an antenna? Sometime in the last 25 years, roof antennas pretty much stopped being a thing. :confused:

• Like 1