Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Captjim

Autobiography almost finished

My autobiography is almost finished.  It covers a lot of ground, and most of it matters to the whole story.  It’s around 120,000 words.  Is that too much?  I had one person say a first time writer shouldn’t go more than 80-90 thousand.  I’ve done a lot of things in my life and they all seem to be crucial to my story.  I don’t see any of it dragging on.  Thoughts?

Here's what Rachelle Gardner (literary agent) says...

"As far as length, popular memoirs range quite a bit from about 60,000 words to 120,000 or more. If you’re a new author, I’d recommend staying on the shorter side, perhaps around the 75,000 word mark. The important thing is that your length fits your book. Write as much as it takes to tell the story, and no more."

Hope that helps. :)

• Like 1

I don’t foresee me writing anything other than this one book.  I’m tempted to stay at 120k.  It is telling the story, no more.

1 hour ago, Captjim said:

I’m tempted to stay at 120k.  It is telling the story, no more.

If that's how long it takes to tell the story and it's all relevant, keep it!

There are all kinds of tools to help you decide what to keep and what to toss.  I think of Paul writing in a Roman prison.  He had the greatest story ever told to get across and every word had to carry the weight of 20. 

It isn't the story that will change, if you do the reductions under professional guidance.  The "User Interface" and "User Experience" will only improve when the writing is as tight as possible.