Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
EClayRowe

Wrong answers only!

I play an online game, Word Genius. It's a fill-in quiz, with a choice of four words to fill in the blank to complete a sentence.

I've always had a talent for multiple-choice questions, but I'm finding the wrong answers generate intriguing writing prompts. 

Example: Everyone in the office asked her advice because she had a reputation for being < word>.

loquacious 

peripatetic

perspicacious 

indomitable

But are there not circumstances when one would seek advice from a smooth-talking raconteur? A well-traveled individual? A force of nature in human form? I'll grant these words aren't the best choices but don't they present fascinating scenarios?

• Like 1

Absolutely!!

I've heard of Word Genius; being the avid mobile gamer that I am, you've convinced me to try it out now!!

I've played others like Word Cookies, Word Domination (my mother's big obsession), Battle Text and I also want to try CodyCross!! 😁😁😁

Thank you, EClayRowe. I enjoy word games. I play Classic Words, a Scrabble type game and I also play Scrabble from time to time. I do them to keep my mind active. 

• Like 1

I was on a bit of a mobile games kick for a bit.  I played a two word games and then I discovered an oldie but goodie ... Minesweeper.  No, it's not a word game but there is something about that game that just captures my attention.

I might have to look into Word Genius, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TDDracken said:

I was on a bit of a mobile games kick for a bit.  I played a two word games and then I discovered an oldie but goodie ... Minesweeper.  No, it's not a word game but there is something about that game that just captures my attention.

Minesweeper is so haaaarrrrrddd!!! Argh! 😵😵😵

On 12/4/2019 at 2:34 PM, Erin Cook said:

Minesweeper is so haaaarrrrrddd!!! Argh! 😵😵😵

I LOVE Minesweeper hahaha! 😁 To each their own, I struggle with anything remotely resembling Scrabble. 😜

I just looked up Battle Text and I think I may need to get it ... 😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenName said:

I LOVE Minesweeper hahaha! 😁 To each their own, I struggle with anything remotely resembling Scrabble. 😜

I just looked up Battle Text and I think I may need to get it ... 😱

Do! You'll love it! I may reinstall it again; I shuffle my games a lot depending on what I'm currently playing the most.

I didn't really say I dislike Minesweeper; but sometimes logic games like that can really leave you wringing your hands, your neck, your brain ... >sigh<. I could probably count the amount of Minesweeper games I've won on one hand. Lol ☝️🙄😂

• Like 1

Trivia and vocabulary games. I was an ace at It Pays to Increase Your Word Power from Readers' Digest.

My parents never stopped me when I borrowed from the adult section of the library. ( Adult as in reading level; it was a small town library.) I had hearing issues, but the speech-and-hearing therapist said my vocabulary was college level, but with pronunciation issues, because I had never heard some words pronounced. (Allegory was uh-leg-or-ee. I read it in the preface to A Pilgrim's Progress.  Never heard it pronounced until a high-school teacher corrected me.)

Turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy are about all I can stand on consoles.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, Erin Cook said:
On 12/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, PenName said:

Do! You'll love it!

Okay I got it and CodyCross ... I am officially addicted. 😂🤣

• Haha 1

Today's WordGenius question asked for a word that wasn't synonymous with "acerbic." "Caustic" and "bitter" were given as choices. If "acerbic" is defined as "sour, " then both are antonyms in a chemical sense. "Cloying" was the correct response, probably because it's totally unrelated to the pH level of a substance.

I'd probably avoid using  "acerbic" as a synonym for "bitter." And "caustic?" The extra-strength drain opener is pretty extreme but would be neutralized by an acidic substance.

That's my style. Word choice is important.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, EClayRowe said:

(Allegory was uh-leg-or-ee. I read it in the preface to A Pilgrim's Progress.  Never heard it pronounced until a high-school teacher corrected me.)

This ... still happens to me. Sigh! Lol.

• Like 1