Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

A Technicality...

I'm currently writing a romance story. My research on the genre leads me to understand that these stories are generally told from the point of view of the girl, but if the romance follows the traditional trajectory of a real-world relationship, it's the guy who is making most of the moves to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

So is this a case where the main, POV character and the protagonist ought not be the same, or am I confused?

The first two chapters are in the Critique Forum, BTW. So enjoy...and tell me everything I'm doing wrong.

Yes, you are confused, I think.  There is no law specifying that the main, POV character and the protagonist ought not be the same!

I'm excited to read this now- you've got me interested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zee said:

My research on the genre leads me to understand that these stories are generally told from the point of view of the girl

A lot of very successful romances these days are told with dual point of view. But even if you were writing a romance from only the female character's point of view and the man is the one making all the moves, the woman can still be the protagonist. The love story isn't just happening to her. She's got her own issues and her personal growth arc to work through, and the way she reacts to the man's attentions also give her plenty of scope to move the story forward.

In Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, Fanny Price is a very passive character, but she is still the protagonist based on her gentle acts of devotion and how she refuses to go against her scruples.

• Like 3

You might want to read several romances to get a feel for how they play out and how the genre works. The Ladies can often see us guys and our relationships through some very different eyes than we guys see them. While the genre may not appeal as much to us, reading stories by women, for women, about their relationships can also just give some interesting insights about life. Not saying they mirror reality, but I think we may often read about how we'd like life to be. They might offer some understanding.

While the standard story arc in many genres has the protagonist overcome an obstacle and undergoes change in spite of some personal flaw, in the romances I'd read it was more the man who undergoes the biggest change, even though the woman is the protagonist. The woman undergoes some change too, but it seems to be a big thing for the guy to change. Wish fulfillment? I dunno... (My wife loves me, as I do her, but she certainly has a list of ways she'd love for me to change...)

Anyway, there's a very different kind of story development, and a very different way of viewing life. It's good to understand these different ways, and learn from them. It's probably essential if one were to want to write about them.

• Like 1

Romance is not a genre I particularly enjoy, or have read much in, but the story idea I had best lent itself to that. (The Sci Fi I was dreaming up needs more time to cook.)

So this is going to be fun--a steep learning curve on multiple levels. Just what I like.

• Like 1