Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Guest N R

How to sing

Guest N R

Singing is something most people don't know how to do.

singing is done through a combination of head tone and chest tone. Here's a simple way to explain it. Sing a note softly, with lots of audible breath in it. If it sounds like a steam boat whistle, that's head tone.

Chest tone is to tighten your throat and sing AAAAAAAA. If it sounds like Fozzy Bear, that's chest tone.

Now, let's do an exercise to combine them. Sing head tone notes lower... and lower... and lower.

Now sing chest tone notes higher and higher.

Don't try to get either one loud! (chest tone naturally will be loud. Head tone, keep control, keep quiet).

When your throat gets hoarse or sore, switch to singing head tone for two minutes - your throat will fix itself.

Last exercise - vocal pops. Sing a note, then immediately sing a note one octave higher, then back. Ahhh-AAAAAHHH-ahhh. Like that. Proceed up a vocal scale. I can sing notes lower than a piano can reach - I can't outsing a concert harp.

There you go. I just saved you $95 a month.

Sounds interesting, Nicholas. Will have to give it a try.

I remember years ago hearing Robert Goulet talk about the advice his voice coach gave him. The coach told him to sing from the small of his back! Must have worked. He had a great voice! :D

(If any of you don't know who that is, you're too young. :rolleyes:;) )

• Like 2

I'm 20, and I know full well who he is!!

He was so funny when he was featured as a guest on the Lucy Show back in the 60s; you guys ought to pull up the episode "Lucy Meets Robert Goulet" on YouTube and watch it if you can find it. The best part is when he gets on that horse in his too-tight cowboy outfit!! 😂😂😂

Anyway, back to singing, thanks a lot for sharing this, Nicholas. I believe it will help improve my own voice as well. Now if I can just get up the courage to use it in front of others! 😬

Great, Nicholas!

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Build up muscle memory. It's really synaptic pathway reinforcement. Your voice is an amazing instrument. Look at Jim Nabors, who talked like Gomer Pyle but sang like an angel. Like Mel Tillis, who overcame his stutter. Like Susan Boyle, Mariah Carey.

If you tune a two-dollar piano, it will sound better, but not like a Steinway.

Hi everyone as a Speech Pathologist and Voice therapist and professionally trained singer may I just say that if your voice gets hoarse ( funny there are references to someone in a tight suit on a horse ! ) stop singing or you will develop vocal nodules ( or worse.) If you are experiencing any prolonged hoarseness, loss of voice and pain Or difficulty swallowing please seek medical advice as you may have laryngeal or oesophageal cancer. 
I don’t believe everyone can sing well. Nor can everyone play tennis well or play the violin or trumpet well .Training and practice help but some are just more gifted than others !