Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving! Stay safe on the roads, everyone! 😊 

Oh! You should do a "what are you thankful for" thread tomorrow! That would be fun! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Can some please explain to me (a Brit). Why you celebrate  Thanksgiving in the States?

Wikipedia says, "Thanksgiving is a federal holiday in the United States, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. It originated as a harvest festival. Thanksgiving has been celebrated nationally on and off since 1789, with a proclamation by George Washington after a request by Congress. Thomas Jefferson chose not to observe the holiday, and its celebration was intermittent until the presidency of Abraham Lincoln, when Thanksgiving became a federal holiday in 1863, during the American Civil War. Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens," to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November. Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the date was changed between 1939 and 1941 amid significant controversy. From 1942 onwards, Thanksgiving has been proclaimed by Congress as being on the fourth Thursday in November. Thanksgiving is regarded as being the beginning of the fall–winter holiday season, along with Christmas and the New Year, in American culture."

hope that helps. :D

• Like 4

Shamrock, I just got an email with more for you...

Thanksgiving is an American holiday that stretches all the way back to a time long before America became a nation. The Pilgrims landed in 1620. They faced brutal conditions and were woefully unprepared. Roughly half of them died in that first year. Then they had a successful harvest of corn. In November of 1621 they decided to celebrate a feast of thanksgiving.

Edward Winslow was among those who ate that first thanksgiving meal in 1621. He noted:

“Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we gathered the fruit of our labors. …And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want.”

In addition to the fowl eaten that first Thanksgiving, the Indians also brought along five deer as their contribution to the feast. Presumably they also ate corn.

Over the centuries, Americans continued to celebrate feasts of thanksgiving in the fall. Some presidents issued proclamations. Abraham Lincoln issued a proclamation for a perpetual national holiday set aside for thanksgiving. In 1863, with the nation torn apart by the Civil War, he declared:

“I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.”

• Like 4

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!! 😁🍗

2 hours ago, Alley said:

😊 You should do a "what are you thankful for" thread tomorrow! That would be fun! 

Maybe I'll start one!! 😉

• Like 4

I have 4 Mayflower ancestors according to several wills and documentations.  But the one I am thinking about when I fix our Thanksgiving dinner with all the modern conveniences is the female ancestor.   I can't remember her name--only that she was the oldest woman doing the cooking all three days.  Wow! And I fuss over whether I defrosted the turkey in time or not.  Can you imagine roasting all those deer? 😰

Am I remembering right--that there were only three adult women cooks at the first Thanksgiving?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Erin Cook said:

Wow! Four Mayflower ancestors?? That's awesome!! Not everyone can say something like that.

I also have three from Jamestown, though the lady came over a few years after the other two helped found it.  One was a 19-year-old soldier on one of the three original ships and was mentioned in an expedition report with John Smith.  He later became known as one of the "ancient planters".  His father was on one of the original ships, too-I think it was the same one.  Imagine, they knew Pocahontas.  They may not have had anything to do with her, but they knew her! How cool is that?! 

I'd love to find out about the lady, who married soldier boy's dad, and about the two men--like why they came over.  She obviously was one of the group of ladies who came looking for a husband, but I wonder what made her do it.

Genealogy is so-o much fun.😊  A little unnerving sometimes, too, because you never know what dark secret you are going to stumble across.

• Like 3

I know, I love to look into my own family history as well. Yours ...wow, it's utterly fascinating!! 

Perhaps if you keep looking into it, you'll discover more about the lady; I, too, would love to know more of the details. 

Wow, getting to meet Pocahontas! I've always loved her real story (not the lame interpretation that Disney mustered up); she even became a believer later in her life and was baptized! Someone needs to come in and make another Pocahontas movie--perhaps a live-action one--and get the true facts out there for people to hear. (For one thing, Pocahontas was only a little girl when she saved the life of Captain John Smith, so I hardly think a romance would have been budding between the two unless he was some sort of rapist phsyco. And that's just the first in a long list of false portrayals featured in that lame movie!) It'd be neat if Burns Family Studios did one; they could make is super neat like they did that cool Beyond the Mask. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Can some please explain to me (a Brit). Why you celebrate  Thanksgiving in the States?

Adding to what Lynn said, in 1863, American was in the middle of our civil war. (Our bloodiest war ever, including both World Wars and VN.) Lincoln then chose to make it a federal holiday with the hope for our reunion.

So, not only to we thank the Lord for what he has given us. We also thank him for the hope he has promised -- peace and united forever with him.

• Like 3

I could just hear in my head LInus's explanation in the Thanksgiving Peanuts episode.

Happy Thanksgiving!

To add to the explanation, The pilgrims were inspired by the Bibilcal command to Israel to celebrate Sukkos for all eternity.

• Like 2

Late to the party, but I hope everyone had a pleasant visit with family, safe driving (or flight) to and from, plenty to eat (especially pie), and the opportunity to feel grateful for all we have.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 3