Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
zx1ninja

The Cross

Wondered if anybody had information about the cross itself. I'm sure these will spark other questions. Feel free to provide links or any information you think is related. Thank you for your help.

What was it made from?

How was it put together?

Was it carried compleat to the hill or in parts?

If it was complete, how was it assembled when it reached the hill.

These are good questions! Crucifiction was a common form of execution in Roman times and they liked to document everything they did, so I'm sure there is " horse's mouth" info out there. 
I think the victim carried the beam part, was nailed to it at the site where the upright part was permanently embeded in the ground, then hoisted with ropes like the yardarm of a ship. But I don't know for sure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicola said:

I think the victim carried the beam part, was nailed to it at the site where the upright part was permanently embeded in the ground, then hoisted with ropes like the yardarm of a ship

This is what I'm seeing in my research right now right now too.

Doing research there appears to be a few different methods of crucifixion. In the one instance they were able to examine a person, the ankles were nailed on the sides of the post not in front and the arms were tied, but not nailed. We have to go by what the Bible describes and we know Jesus did carry the top beam. This was common practice. While some say he had to be nailed in the wrists for support I'm not so sure. They could have used rope to support the weight. We do know Jesus was nailed in hands and feet, but other than that I'm not sure it is clear where the nails went.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/crucifixion/roman-crucifixion-methods-reveal-the-history-of-crucifixion/

This shows the method used on the person they found.

• Like 1

What research I know about this suggest that it was common for the 'beam' to be a thick branch or trunk of a tree. They strapped it across the person shoulder and their wrist were bounded to it.

They then walked to the crucifixion's location (Usually outside the town/city walls) and they were hoisted up against  to a tree still fixed to the 'beam'. and it was nailed into place against the upright tree.

At that point the nails went in.

However, I would encourage you to do some of your own research as I am neither a historian or theologian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

However, I would encourage you to do some of your own research as I am neither a historian or theologian.

I will, but you're finding the same as me, which is still helpful. Thanks. 

Thank you @Nicholas Reicher That was very helpful to me in understanding the process and likely procedure. 

Based on what I've learned then, it's likely Christ carried the cross beam to the site where the post was already set.

Being helped up when He fell and later, as scripture stated, (unless I've got it wrong, then please correct me.) The beam was carried by Simon (?) when Christ no longer could to the site.

Then hoisted up onto the post after being nailed to it, and possibly tied. Then at the option of the soldiers present, his feet placed in front, instead of the side and nailed to the post.

I've also seen some information saying He may have had a board under His feet to push up on. But I'm not sure of that.

It seems the spear was used to confirm His death to those around. The blood and water were body fluids that had accumulated in and around that part of His body.

I'd like to ask if we can agree, based on scripture and facts, that this is likely correct.

I don't understand why tying comes up so much for me. Must be searching wrong. It does make sense that He was not tied and no step. Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I've preached on this twice. I usually warn the congregation if the details of it don't move you to tears, you're not saved. Preaching on it is brutal. Sitting and listening to it is brutal.

Actually just reading this thread is rather brutal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zee said:

Crucifixion, to my knowledge, was the most cruel method of death the Romans had.

Guest N R
11 hours ago, Zee said:

You're quite correct.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:45 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

I've preached on this twice. I usually warn the congregation if the details of it don't move you to tears, you're not saved. Preaching on it is brutal. Sitting and listening to it is brutal.

One of the most emotional scenes around Christ's crucifixion for me is Him praying in the garden. He is God, so He knew exactly what He would be going through in a couple hours. And He chose it. 

One place to also look at is some of the research done on the Shroud of Turin.  The Shroud points to nails being put through the wrist, whereas the Bible mentions the hands.  I read something where a researcher proposed that the nail started through the bottom palm of the hand, through the bones of the wrist, and exiting out through the flesh of the wrist in a diagonal direction.  I couldn't imagine a more painful means if securing someone, even if I tried.

There are also three cloths that relate to the crucifixion.  The first being the Shroud if Turin.  There is a head covering that exists in Spain ( and forensics have shown match the head wounds on the Shroud).  The third is the cloth given to Christ to wipe his face as he carried the cross to Golgotha.  

There is a lot of information taken from the Shroud as to the exact conditions of the.bodily death of Jesus.  You might also want to check there.