Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Accord64

Other Creative Pursuits

By nature, we writers are a creative bunch. But does this extend into other areas of our lives? I thought it would be interesting for us to share other creative pursuits, hobbies, etc., that we're involved with.  

For me, in addition to world-building in words, I also engage in a hobby that's world-building in miniature: Model Railroading. It's not quite as popular as it once was and can get quite expensive. I've been doing this since I was a train-crazy kid.

First, model railroading comes in several "sales," or sizes. I model in "N-scale," which is about half the size of the most popular HO-scale. Here's a picture of how big an average N-scale train car is in hand:

20191122_145039.thumb.jpg.60a4f9d738fea4444f4a3a59df6d1f63.jpg

Here are a few shots of the world I have created in N-scale. This also combines other hobbies of mine - photography & photoshop.  All the foreground modeling is real, but the backdrops (sky, distant mountains, etc.) are Photoshopped.

Belmar2019.thumb.jpg.fe7222d9779105d2ae37a6f29d8b2363.jpg

Belmar2014.thumb.jpg.80a5a0a8772a60534267622d921b4d0d.jpg

Belmar533.thumb.JPG.6f9dffeb76dc560e17852a27fab9bb92.JPG

Belmar517.thumb.JPG.37f0c31fa9fa72e5285226c4bb5300aa.JPG

Sometimes I get a little carried away in photoshop...

Belmar2024b.thumb.jpg.5b75054860a9ad3f25e60a39ae4e8014.jpg

Please share your other creative pursuits! 

• Like 4

WOW !!! These are great - must show to my train crazy friends.( We still have some very old steam trains here )😃🚂🚂🚂

Edited by Gillian Bell
  • Like 2

What size trains are the ones that take two hands and still stick out at both ends? I think bigger than HO, but it's been 50 years since my family gave up training, so don't remember. I do remember we had gigantic and then small ones, so maybe the small ones were N. Had the small track on the inside of the bigger track. Also, had a lot of PRR trains, since my grandfather worked for the PRR. (Pennsylvania Railroad.) The thing that stood out the most for landscaping on the train platform was my brother's science fair project -- a volcano. 

My hobbies are somewhat related to my writing. I don't collect stuffed animals as much as adopt them. They become a part of the family, instead housed on shelves to be admired. (And since our house is small, I have to work at not adopting more and more of them. Three generations is enough. Four generations if you count the doll babies and action figures the youngest generation usually carry.)

Also, I'm a container gardener, and take pictures, although do not think "take-pictures" means I'm a photographer. I'm not. It is rare that any of my pictures don't include a camera strap, body parts, (usually a finger holding the camera or a foot showing up in the corner of a downward shot), or my shadow. I also like to make clothes for my stuffies. Before deciding to write "my book," I used to blog from my stuffies' POV. So, here is the story that turned out the best, (as long as you don't notice my knee is in half the shots.) Since they were gardening, it captures my hobbies in one story, (although Spaulding was wearing store-bought bibfronts that day.)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

What size trains are the ones that take two hands and still stick out at both ends? I think bigger than HO, but it's been 50 years since my family gave up training, so don't remember.

Probably "O" gauge. It was the predominate gauge before HO and N came on the scene. My grandfather modeled in O.

• Like 1

My talents? Hmm. 🤔 I have a lot.

Dancing. Writing. Encouraging. Drawing. Baking. Sewing. Crocheting. Knitting. Singing. (needs a little help but hey! I can carry a tune. 😃) Acting. (needs a little help too) Piano. Violin? (still working on that one) Visual effects. (is that a talent? I like doing it and "animation") Editing film projects. Making film projects. Lip syncs. Book cover designing. Screenwriting. I can take pretty good pictures. Need to learn how to photoshop, however.

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Probably "O" gauge. It was the predominate gauge before HO and N came on the scene. My grandfather modeled in O.

That's it! And our HOs were the small trains. (We were all quite young, so it was easier for little hands to hold onto, yet big enough that toddler hands couldn't pick one up.)

18 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Dancing. Writing. Encouraging. Drawing. Baking. Singing.

You gave me a good laugh here. I misread "Baking" by adding an R. "Barking." And seeing your avatar I just pictured that dog writing and drawing while dancing and barking, (happily.) xD

• Haha 1

Sewing. Knitting. Crochet. Tatting. Dancing. Every now and then I pretend to draw. Does researching random-but-cool facts count as a creative pursuit? I should add making music, but that lands more under "work" than "hobby" for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

Sewing. Knitting. Crochet.

Me too! How could I forget? 😂😂😂

22 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

My talents? Hmm. 🤔 I have a lot.

Dancing. Writing. Encouraging. Drawing. Baking. Sewing. Crocheting. Knitting. Singing. (needs a little help but hey! I can carry a tune. 😃) Acting. (needs a little help too) Piano. Violin? (still working on that one) Visual effects. (is that a talent? I like doing it and "animation") Editing film projects. Making film projects. Lip syncs. Book cover designing. Screenwriting. I can take pretty good pictures. Need to learn how to photoshop, however.

Wow, you and I have more in common than I remembered! 😲

Music is a big part of my life, so I enjoy singing, usually as I'm blow-drying my hair just after showering; I'm too shy yet to sing much around other people, though I try hard to muster up the courage when I can. A also make a study of sheet music reading and piano. Both are a little rusty.

I consider just about any kind of my writing a hobby; I do songwriting and dabble in journalism now; I also like to write in my private diary and make up little stories as I go throughout my day. I also enjoy writing fanfiction, particularly crossover stories with Mega Man and the Incredibles. Fanfiction is a great way to stir up creative juices and inspire you to create characters of your own! 

Reading is also a favorite hobby of mine; besides God's Word, the best Book in the world, I like to read the works of many of the great Classic authors, especially Charles Dickens, Jane Austen or Louisa May Alcott. For inspiration I especially like Andrew Murray, Watchman Nee, David Wilkerson or C.H. Spurgeon. For modern day fiction, I enjoy the works of Beverly Lewis and am also beginning to read books by Julie Klassen and Irene Hannon as well. I would read more manga if I could find more that was decent to read; but for now I LOVE the works of Kelly Kozumi Shinozawa, whom many of you were introduced to through a video I posted on another thread.

I love DIY crafts, especially sculpting little miniature kawaii figures! I'm planning to sell them on Etsy in the near future. I also enjoy drawing a lot, especially manga and funny stick figure memes. I do a lot of Gaither ones!!

I am also a huge mobile gamer in my spare time. 

I love listening to my favorite musicians or watching my favorite movies. 

And ...I love to shop. C'mon, like, what girl doesn't, right? Claire's, Belk and Hobby Lobby are a few of my favorites. Oh, and Books A Million! For groceries I like Publix.

I also enjoy photography, filming and photo editing; I've learned much about it over the years, though my skills have some rough edges that may need smoothing. 

And I also love to dance and act as well; I'm involved in local community theater which is a lot of fun! 

Here's a song I love to dance to and sing along with; I learned how to sing the entire song, and I know most of the dance as well. Like my cousin, I love all things Japanese, and when I first saw Wreck-It Ralph, I was introduced to the wonderful world of AKB48 for the first time because of their hit song "Sugar Rush". This is another song of theirs, "RIVER", a catchy yet dramatic song about not giving up on your dreams. 

【MV full】 RIVER / AKB48 [公式]:

Oh, and I also love to bowl! Lol. 😂

Oh, and I also make a study of foreign languages; Spanish, French, Portuguese and Japanese are my best subjects!

Edited by Erin Cook
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Erin Cook said:

And I also love to dance and act as well; I'm involved in local community theater which is a lot of fun!

What kind of dance? Have you only acted in stage productions?

(can't believe I forgot; I am a HUGE reader)

2 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

What kind of dance? Have you only acted in stage productions?

Well, I'm very fond of softshoe and tap dancing, as well as the little "cutesie" dances like what you see in River. I have only worked as a stagehand in community theater so far, though I auditioned for a role in a play a few months ago. (I haven't been in community theater very long.) I like to practice my acting and imitations (one of my secret talents!) at home. My time in the spotlight will come! Lol. 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Erin Cook said:

I like to practice my acting and imitations (one of my secret talents!) at home.

I do that in the mirror!

• Like 1

Or act out scenes from my books. . .or movies that I have memorized the script from. . .(I have memorized a lot of the Greatest Showman lines, 😂 and some other books that I like)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Or act out scenes from my books. . .or movies that I have memorized the script from. . .(I have memorized a lot of the Greatest Showman lines, 😂 and some other books that I like)

Ooohhh, I love to do that too!!😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

C'mon, like, what girl doesn't, right?

*slowly raises hand while taking a deep breath*

I don't like shopping. Unless it's book shopping. Then I'm keen

Edited by Claire Tucker
Incomplete thought

3 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

*slowly raises hand while taking a deep breath*

I don't like shopping. Unless it's book shopping. Then I'm keen

Ooohhh, BOOK SHOPPING!!! YES!! The best! 😁😁😁

• Like 1

I'm building my own computers. One uses a Raspberry Pi 3 processor and the other uses parts of a non- functional laptop I was given.

Oh, I love model trains! Such a great hobby! :D

Sheesh! How can I follow you guys? Especially after Nicholas! But...here goes. I used to knit, sew, and play the piano. Haven't done much in years. Love to cook/bake (when my body lets me). Love crafting Christmas ornaments, wreaths, other decor, and making things with my youngest grand-daughter. But what I love the most is Bible digging ;) and creating graphics for Scriptures and quotes. :D

Oh gosh an invitation to what we like doing  !! So much but don’t  

know how talented I’ve been !

In no particular order .

Acting ( have been in the sound of Music , the Full Monty , Rent, Fiddler on

the Roof and a small farce ) Chase me up the road s’il void plait - or something like that .

Music - singing mainly - in church music group and

choirs , at Folk club and Music society and on stage as above.

Art

Movies

Writing - poetry and prose . Song writing a bit

Animal loving ( specially my own dog and cat ) but before now my donkeys , sheep, goat, ducks and fish !!
Swimming , walking ,golf ( very new player so not talented yet !)

Travel 🛳✈️
Belly dancing ! ( not now- less flexible !)

etc. etc.etc . 😃😃😃

image.png

image.jpeg