Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
danpk

The Preachers Kid Bible Project

if any PKs want to share their thoughts on this.   use this thread.   im going to start by writing notes in my olive tree NIV study bible app.  i never done this.....   kind of nervous lol

My first thought is, how are you going to market this? Sure, there are 1,000s of preachers' families, but how are you going to reach them? And any version you pick is going to repel a large swath of potential audience and that's already limited (e.g. my pastor isn't going to want an NIV version for his girls and I wouldn't want to give it even if he did).

But assuming you have a way to reach your target audience:

My biggest issue being a PK and MK's kid with PK/MK kids myself is: the stuff being written for children is crazy easy. I knew more than many adults when I was in single digits. But, I was still a kid with a kid's issues. So, whatever you do, don't retell the same Bible stories we've been struggling not to yawn at 2/3 of our lives when we aren't even 10 years old yet! 

If I had the chance to send myself a care package when I was a girl, I would get books on archaeology, culture, manuscript preservation and transmission, and such to walk me through why the Bible is structured the way it is. These have been the major ways I've had ah-ha moments that reframe how I view a book as familiar to me as my name. 

37 minutes ago, Celebrianne said:

And any version you pick is going to repel a large swath of potential audience and that's already limited (e.g. my pastor isn't going to want an NIV version for his girls and I wouldn't want to give it even if he did).

Actually, I think that Dan's idea has merit, and if you write an NIV version, you could easily adapt it to a KJV or ESV, or NKJV or a Christian Study Bible or whatever version he wants.

16 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Actually, I think that Dan's idea has merit, and if you write an NIV version, you could easily adapt it to a KJV or ESV, or NKJV or a Christian Study Bible or whatever version he wants.

Sure. I was just throwing out my first thoughts ala "count the cost." The other thing I was thinking with a specific version is it limits the potential publishers interested. But if the notes aren't tied to the version this could well work. 

I would also love to see this pull in more kids than just PKs. It could be marketed to them, but there are far more 'serious' Christian families with kids who need depth than there are families in full time ministry. Why not widen the net that far? It wouldn't be "every kid everywhere" generic, but still broaden the potential market pool.

Those are some great thoughts Celebrianne.   I also was thinking is what i say my opinion or is it biblicaly worth to be a long side the bible. I just thought it would be a good idea to minister to me.   But i don't want to be the voice of all PKs lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Celebrianne said:

I would also love to see this pull in more kids than just PKs. It could be marketed to them, but there are far more 'serious' Christian families with kids who need depth than there are families in full time ministry.

That's a good idea, Celebrianne!