Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Erin Cook

How Many Of Us Do What This Woman Does?

I discovered this amazing Japanese Christian woman recently named Kelly Kozumi Shinozawa, who is a Christian "mangaka" (manga artist), which is actually kind of a rarity, tragically. Her work is amazing, and I totally want her books now!! 😊

I shared this film with Sarah Daffy in the past couple weeks, but I thought I'd share it with the rest of you, too. Something in particular really struck me about Kelly: the way she mentioned how she delivers a prayer to God for guidance before she begins to draw. It caused me to wonder ... just how many of us actually pray over our work, whether it be a novel or a manga drawing or a Christian movie or a song or anything else; are we truly seeking the Master in all things, allowing Him to guide our every step so that He might get the glory? If we do that, than our work will truly mean something and will be a blessing to people, whether just one person or a whole congregation, God will use us and our service to bless someone in this world. 

Oh, and by the way, the tsunami she mentions was a horrific event that happened in Japan in 2011, the same year as the horrible April 27 tornado incident we were experiencing here in Alabama. If you look up footage of the tsunami on YouTube, you will not believe your eyes; it was so horrific it did not even look real. It was worse than a horror movie; whole towns were completely wiped out.

Edited by Erin Cook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

just how many of us actually pray over our work, whether it be a novel or a manga drawing or a Christian movie or a song or anything else; are we truly seeking the Master in all things, allowing Him to guide our every step so that He might get the glory?

I always ask the Lord what He wants me to write, to share. Then again, I write devotionals and inspirational stories/parables. If I don't ask what the Lord wants me to share, then someone is not getting the message He knows they need to read.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

I always ask the Lord what He wants me to write, to share. Then again, I write devotionals and inspirational stories/parables. If I don't ask what the Lord wants me to share, then someone is not getting the message He knows they need to read.

Exactly! If I don't go by what the Spirit tells me, I just don't dare write at all.

• Like 2

Yeah, I always include God and ask him how he wants it done.  After all, he is the one who put the desire in my heart to write,  But one morning I knew he was going to write a particular scene for me before the day was over.  I could barely contain myself.  All I had to do was be his fingers as he spoke the words in my heart.  It was just after Adam and Chavvah (Eve) had sinned.  I had been praying over the scene for weeks, literally, because I, also, wanted to understand for myself exactly why blood sacrifice was the only thing that could cover sin. I was not disappointed.   It was an amazing afternoon. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's amazing, Becky! And certainly writing like that brings the best satisfaction, when we are God's tools to say exactly what He wants to share with others. 

Edited by Erin Cook
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing this and all your comments. I think (and hope) I have the constant  “ what would Jesus do and how does God want me to show His love in everything I do ? “ thoughts in my mind - if not always at the front of it ! The Faith and humility of this artist and the simple act of praying over everything she does is truly inspiring.

I see it as a privilege in my work ,to be able to help those who cannot communicate , swallow, hear etc and through my voluntary Pastoral Care be a good listener , comfort and possibly cheer those in despair , grieving, depressed , anxious or just need in need of a shoulder to cry on

Looking back over my life ( 67 years ) I can see so many instances when God was guiding me and I didn’t realise . So many times I have chosen not to take the right path and yet He is still beside me and is patiently letting me know He hasn’t given up on me and never will .

I m starting to waffle now so I’ll shut up !!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gillian Bell said:

I see it as a privilege in my work ,to be able to help those who cannot communicate , swallow, hear etc and through my voluntary Pastoral Care be a good listener , comfort and possibly cheer those in despair , grieving, depressed , anxious or just need in need of a shoulder to cry on

Sounds like an awesome job, Gillian! I would love to be able to do more like that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Becky Bradley said:

Erin, didn't you cover a Veteran's Day parade?  How did it go?

Yes, I did! 😊

I was a bundle of nerves that day, trying to muster up a courage I wasn't sure I possessed while at the same time feeling like I was going to fail somewhere. But everything went very smoothly, to my relief! And apparently the editor must've liked the photos and the article I sent in pretty well; it made the front page of the Lifestyles section! 😵😵😵😵😀😀😀😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

it made the front page of the Lifestyles section! 😵😵😵😵😀😀😀😀

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!  :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

it made the front page of the Lifestyles section

Awesome!!! 😁🎉😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:54 PM, Erin Cook said:

And apparently the editor must've liked the photos and the article I sent in pretty well; it made the front page of the Lifestyles section!

I am glad to hear this. You must have wowed them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 12:54 PM, Erin Cook said:

Yes, I did! 😊

I was a bundle of nerves that day, trying to muster up a courage I wasn't sure I possessed while at the same time feeling like I was going to fail somewhere. But everything went very smoothly, to my relief! And apparently the editor must've liked the photos and the article I sent in pretty well; it made the front page of the Lifestyles section! 😵😵😵😵😀😀😀😀

WOW! Incredible!  That is so awesome. :D:D:D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this, Erin!

On 11/13/2019 at 11:21 PM, Erin Cook said:

how many of us actually pray over our work

That is what we all should be doing. 🙏

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob Leone said:

Thanks for posting this, Erin!

That is what we all should be doing. 🙏

Amen! You're welcome. 😊

She has a website, too, which is where I pasted this video from. There are a lot more videos about her as well; one where she tells her testimony about her early life and how she and her dad became a Christian is truly awesome.

http://manga-ministry.com/en/

Edited by Erin Cook
  • Like 1