Jump to content

Beta readers needed for YA Fantasy novel


Recommended Posts

HI All,

 

I've posted the first three chapters of my YA fantasy novel, The Soothsayer, in the critique forums and now I'd like to open up the rest of the novel for any interested beta readers. I'd be happy to reciprocate on your work, of course. I'm primarily looking for feedback on the plot pacing, dialogue, and descriptions used - or any other parts that may get your attention. 

 

The Soothsayer is an epic fantasy, similar in tone to the Narnia series by C. S. Lewis with a bit of "Game of Thrones" thrown in. While not strictly a "Christian Novel', it does have strong Christian themes that I think will speak to believers and encourage Non-Christians to explore their faith. That said, there is some slight profanity and violence in the story - be warned. Below is a very short preview/synopsis of what you can expect:

 

Colin Devereaux is a teen in crisis. He’s an outcast at school, a target for bullies, and a helpless bystander as he watches his single mother wither from cancer. But those problems pale to the things he can’t explain – the dark creatures he’s spied lurking over his sleeping mother’s form, the strange old shopkeeper at the marina who seems to know Colin’s mind, and the mysterious puzzle box that the old man traded for Colin’s name.

 

The line of reality blurs as the puzzle box opens revealing a path to a another world, and a clue that may save his mother’s life. Stranded in a kingdom devastated by darkness and war, Colin must lead a ragtag resistance against evil forces to find salvation for his mother and himself.

 

Please let me know if you're interested. Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Jared Williams said:

I am new to the site, and haven't read your first three chapters, but I would be interested in beta reading your novel. I would love to give you feedback on what I think, though I am not sure how this all works...

Hi Jared,

 

Thanks! I'm actually doing a revision based on some professional feedback right now but I'll definitely reach out to you once I'm finished.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rasman,

I'm also new to the site but would be interested in beta reading. I'm slightly above your target age group, but not by much, and have a deep love for fantasy, myth, and allegory. How many words is your manuscript?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rachel.S said:

Hi Rasman,

I'm also new to the site but would be interested in beta reading. I'm slightly above your target age group, but not by much, and have a deep love for fantasy, myth, and allegory. How many words is your manuscript?

Hi Rachel,

 

The novel is approximately 83,500 words - give or take. I will definitely reach out to you once I've finished this latest revision. You can find out more about it on my author's facebook page in the meantime. It's https://www.facebook.com/frompentopage/

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! So unfortunately I can't beta someone right now (fifth grade teacher here!) but I'm wondering if you're  @frompentopage on Facebook? If you are, I'm Elizabeth Jacobson, I follow you. I'm the author of Not by Sight: The Story of Joseph. I'm not sure where we crossed paths before (maybe #writingcommunity on Twitter?), but it's nice to see you! 😊

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PenName said:

Hey! So unfortunately I can't beta someone right now (fifth grade teacher here!) but I'm wondering if you're  @frompentopage on Facebook? If you are, I'm Elizabeth Jacobson, I follow you. I'm the author of Not by Sight: The Story of Joseph. I'm not sure where we crossed paths before (maybe #writingcommunity on Twitter?), but it's nice to see you! 😊

 

Hi Elizabeth! 

 

Yes I've read some of your historical posts online - I find them fascinating. My book utilizes old testament names and lore so I always find that subject matter really interesting. I'm not as active on Twitter (though I should be) but I've posted a couple of comments here and there. Your book sounds interesting! Is it on Amazon? Best of luck with remaining teaching year - I used to be a teacher myself, May burnout is real. LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 7:10 AM, Rasman76 said:

 

Hi Elizabeth! 

 

Yes I've read some of your historical posts online - I find them fascinating. My book utilizes old testament names and lore so I always find that subject matter really interesting. I'm not as active on Twitter (though I should be) but I've posted a couple of comments here and there. Your book sounds interesting! Is it on Amazon? Best of luck with remaining teaching year - I used to be a teacher myself, May burnout is real. LOL.

Hey! It’s end of the semester sooo ... yeah! You know how it goes! Sorry it took me a while to get back to you! 
 

I’m actually in the querying trenches for my book. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed some of my posts! Best of luck on your beta process. I’m excited to read your book when it comes out; it sounds super interesting! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, calissi.k said:

I'm game if you're still looking for readers, or if you have other fantasy material you'd like to gather readers for. 

Hi Calissi, I just sent you a message, I'd be happy to have you take a look at it :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.