Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Spaulding

Weird writer question

I'm not sure where this belongs, but it is something I've been struggling with for my story, so kind-of writer's question.

If you were a nine year old boy who likes to draw, living in the Northeast, and a honey-brown teddy bear, what color would you call this?

If you were the 45-year-old basset hound in the picture living in the Northeast, what color would you call this?

(Not his muzzle. The rest of his fur.)

Axlerod.jpg

• Like 3

Don't know about the color, but if those stitches fail there's going to be a much larger problem. 😁

• Haha 4

Almost a reddish brown. Mahogany, sorrel, Auburn, a few suggestions. 😀

• Like 2

Most of these are the same but there are a couple more. Yikes! Some turned green! Just look at the names and not the colors.

image.png.ebaac4804f8b3ef19ca3375ce651b441.png

• Like 2

I agree with Sarah; I think auburn is an appropriate name for the fur color.

Edited by Erin Cook
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Don't know about the color, but if those stitches fail there's going to be a much larger problem. 😁

He's ten years older now, and they haven't failed yet. (I just don't cuddle with him as much. :$)

• Like 1

As a boy who lived in the Northeast, I can honestly say - here's how a boy labels colors.

Tan = Brown

Coffee = brown

mocha = brown

chocolate = brown

Walnut = brown

caramel = brown

etc.

• Haha 2

I went with burnt-umber, because that's the Crayola color. But seems like a mouthful for a kid to say.

He, (Axlerod), considers himself a ginger. Except when boys think "ginger" the word "ale" has to be next.

And, in a world of stuffed animals, "brown" is too basic. Most of them are "brown."

But I do get a kick out of how guys say basic colors often, while women try to pick out just the right one. (Hubby thinks Axlerod is red. xD)

Would a 45 year old guy call himself auburn?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Tan = Brown

Coffee = brown

mocha = brown

chocolate = brown

Walnut = brown

caramel = brown

I agree with Nicholas. A nine-year-old boy would probably just call it brown. However, if he's an observant sort of boy, he might compare the brown to something else in his life (the same brown as a his favorite caramel that sticks in his teeth or like the acorns he uses in his slingshot, etc.).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

I went with burnt-umber, because that's the Crayola color. But seems like a mouthful for a kid to say.

He, (Axlerod), considers himself a ginger. Except when boys think "ginger" the word "ale" has to be next.

And, in a world of stuffed animals, "brown" is too basic. Most of them are "brown."

But I do get a kick out of how guys say basic colors often, while women try to pick out just the right one. (Hubby thinks Axlerod is red. xD)

Would a 45 year old guy call himself auburn?

Basics.

Example - the color Teal drove me nuts. "It's blue green".

My favorite color? "chrome".

Burgundy? "Red".

Favorite guitar color? "white".

Gibson calls it "ivory".

No, "White".

Guys focus on primary color, that's it. Unless a boy grows up in the UK, he's going to say he's a red head.

Girls get taught colors, Guys don't. I only know things like Periwinkle because I'm married.

Yes, my favorite color is chrome - but not on guitars. "White". And gold hardware.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Basics.

Example - the color Teal drove me nuts. "It's blue green".

My favorite color? "chrome".

Burgundy? "Red".

Favorite guitar color? "white".

Gibson calls it "ivory".

No, "White".

Guys focus on primary color, that's it. Unless a boy grows up in the UK, he's going to say he's a red head.

Girls get taught colors, Guys don't. I only know things like Periwinkle because I'm married.

Yes, my favorite color is chrome - but not on guitars. "White". And gold hardware.

In one of the scenes, the MC is telling a boy that a red dog would meet him down the street. Axlerod tells him to tell the kid he's ginger, so the MC ask the kid, "Do you know what ginger is?"

The boy replies, "Ale?"

MC answers, "Red dog." 

And I checked with hubby. He thinks Axlerod is reddish-brown. A mere 39 years into this marriage, and he knows basic color isn't enough for me, so he got specific. I'm so proud of him. 

Maybe I can get him to figure out what mauve is in another four decades. xD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yowordworm said:

I agree with Nicholas. A nine-year-old boy would probably just call it brown. However, if he's an observant sort of boy, he might compare the brown to something else in his life (the same brown as a his favorite caramel that sticks in his teeth or like the acorns he uses in his slingshot, etc.).

He's a 9 year old girl's teddy bear, so he was raised in what little girls call different colors and accepts that as normal. My problem is I haven't been 9 for 50+ years, so I can't remember what Little Lynnie called it. :$

I do remember that color crayon was used quicker than most of my crayons though. If only Crayola would quit changing their colors. 

• Like 1

It's true that guys don't seem to do as well with shades of color, but I believe we could if we tried. For example, every guy i know who's spent any time working with tools can also easily tell the difference between galvanized iron, aluminum, and stainless steel. (Not to be outdone, my wife can easily tell the difference between silver and platinum...)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Tan = Brown

Coffee = brown

mocha = brown

chocolate = brown

Walnut = brown

caramel = brown

I never was a boy, but those labels seem good to me. The rainbow has seven colors. That's all I need! (Oh, black and white too.)

• Like 2

Part of my day job is mixing paint. I can spot fine differences now that I couldn't see before. I've had customers rave about a match I thought was too dark and others complain that a fire-red is pinkish. (Wet paint gets darker as it dries.)

Ten-year-old me would have said, "That's brown."  Paint mixer me says, "New Penny."

• Like 2

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if this is a photo of your actual character, he appears to be spotted. I think if I was a kid I'd refer to him as "my spotted dog" rather than "my any kind of brown dog."

Another distinguishing characteristic, more notable than the red brown color, would be his big floppy ears. If I was a kid, I might eschew color altogether and refer to him as "my floppy dog."

• Like 1

Good point, Zee.

We had someone ask us if we had a brown, white, and black horse. The answer was "No, we have a brown horse, a white horse, and a black horse." Sometimes color is not the most descriptive description.

• Like 1