Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

On the topic of killing off characters, have any of you ever made your reader(s) shed a tear while reading your work?

• Like 2

I loved my beta-reader that yelled at my characters in the comments as she went! It gave me an inside into her thoughts. I don't remember her crying, but she felt (mostly) just as I hoped my reader would. She yelled at the bad guys and dumb chooses, she cheered when the good guys stepped up and broke the guy's guys nose, 😋 and more. 😊

Edited by Alley
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sorry if I'm repeating what I posted in the other topic, and not trying to brag :$, but yes, someone left this in a review for one of my novels:

"Loved the characters and will admit that the ending had me wiping away a tear. "

I was on cloud nine for a while after reading that. :D 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sarah Daffy said:

On the topic of killing off characters, have any of you ever made your reader(s) shed a tear while reading your work?

My wife is my First Reader in the sense that I read her snippets over lunch to get her reaction. I know something is working when I can make her laugh, but my favorite memory is that one time when my writing made her cry.

I wrote a series of short stories about a space marine-turned-diplomat who has a little AI PDA companion named Eyeo based on the beatitudes. I sold a number of short stories with this pair: Blessed Are the Peacemakers, Blessed Are the Persecuted, Blessed Are the Poor In Spirit, Blessed Are the Meek. The last one I wrote, Blessed Are Those Who Mourn, featured the noble death of Ambassador Random Tenerife at the hands of his little friend, who had been infected by an invading horde of sentient machines to secure a lasting peace. When someone who doesn't read and doesn't like genre books or films heard something I wrote and was so emotionally invested that she cried at the series ending, well...

It was the greatest moment of my writing life.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

I've had one beta tell me they did. It was an honor, I was stunned!

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I do not think I have had the privilege of someone crying while reading my work. (ok, I think like maybe one family member said they did or almost did)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

I didn't ask if she cried, but one of my CP's was horrified at the death of one of the characters.

• Like 2

I know that I have cried when reading other people's stories.

And when I read the story I wrote about the death of the horse I had for 20 years, the memory comes back, and I tear up.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2

I wrote a story that I share every Thanksgiving. This year will be year #11. A boy standing in front of a store window, looking at shoes and wearing flip-flops as it snows. I've many comment that they are in tears. I even had it read on a Christian radio program and the reader had trouble reading it. THAT was a great thrill! Maybe I'll share it here on around Thanksgiving. :D

• Like 2

I never had any of my beta readers cry. But then my stories aren't intended to invoke that emotion. I did have my sister-in-law say after she read my first manuscript that she got so scared that she couldn't read it at night. 

• Like 1