Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Thinking of Quitting

Thinking of quitting writing for the year until January. Life has just left me feeling drained when it comes to writing. Haven't gotten a single paragraph for my book in weeks.

Edited by Sarah Daffy

Sometimes a break is necessary. We do get drained and taking a breather helps. As long as you know your reason. It would be a shame if you didn't come back it. But that's up to you. Also, the rest of the year does get rather busy. Good time to take a pause. Praying for you! 🧡

• Thanks 1

All the best...have a happy holiday season.

Zac and Charity could stand a break too, after all you've put them through!

• Thanks 1

So what do I do in the meantime? I was thinking of co-writing a screenplay. . .*shrugs*

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Thinking of quitting writing for the year until January. Life has just left me feeling drained when it comes to writing. Haven't gotten a single paragraph for my book in weeks.

That's not quitting. That's vacationing. Quitting is when you never come back. Vacationing is a preset amount of time to stop, without guilt, and then come back.

And, just so you know, I do the same thing, minus a preset date, whenever life gets too complex to do both.

There are two kinds of writers:

1. Career writers.

2. Not-career writers.

If you're part of group two, like I am, then everything comes before writing: God, family, friends, community, and self. I write as part of self, but if I'm needed elsewhere, I'm elsewhere. And, frankly, self doesn't give me many breaks anyway, since that includes health, and health is always iffy in this house.

Be guiltless. Taking breaks/vacations really does recharge the batteries. Why do you think God gave such detailed instructions in such a subject as "rest?" Certainly not for his own benefit. It's for our benefit. So, rest isn't sin, and nothing to feel guilty about. It's a prerequisite to being human. One less thing to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Spaulding has great advice!

As for what you should do, if you want to work on a screenplay, do it! It’s your break! Get your batteries recharged, as Spaulding said. For me, reading, family, and movies recharge me like no other! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to give you a little bit different advice, Sarah.  Work for six days on your book even if you only do a line per day, and rest as God intended for us to do on the seventh.  No matter how much you feel like writing on the seventh day, don't.  

And may I say you don't have to work on the same book all the time?  I have five books on the go at the same time.  Your screenplay may be one of them.

I'm going to suggest something else that might seem crazy- join NaNoWriMo.   Sign up today and write an entirely new novel in the ensuing month.  It doesn't have to be good- you just have to finish it.

Don't give up writing whatever you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

I'm going to suggest something else that might seem crazy- join NaNoWriMo.   Sign up today and write an entirely new novel in the ensuing month.  It doesn't have to be good- you just have to finish it.

It's funny you should mention it, because I was thinking of signing up this year or next.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Don't give up writing whatever you do.

This is encouraging, thank you. On life's darkest days this is exactly what I feel like doing.

• Like 1

If I do NaNo, I'd (1) have to do the fire book, or (2) start an entirely new mystery which I have almost no ideas for.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

That's not quitting. That's vacationing. Quitting is when you never come back. Vacationing is a preset amount of time to stop, without guilt, and then come back.

And, just so you know, I do the same thing, minus a preset date, whenever life gets too complex to do both.

There are two kinds of writers:

1. Career writers.

2. Not-career writers.

If you're part of group two, like I am, then everything comes before writing: God, family, friends, community, and self. I write as part of self, but if I'm needed elsewhere, I'm elsewhere. And, frankly, self doesn't give me many breaks anyway, since that includes health, and health is always iffy in this house.

Be guiltless. Taking breaks/vacations really does recharge the batteries. Why do you think God gave such detailed instructions in such a subject as "rest?" Certainly not for his own benefit. It's for our benefit. So, rest isn't sin, and nothing to feel guilty about. It's a prerequisite to being human. One less thing to worry about.

Beautifully said! Enjoy your break, Sarah! 

• Thanks 1

Well right now my life isn't much what with recovering from this POTS.

24 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Well right now my life isn't much what with recovering from this POTS.

As someone who can't stand too long, a quicky list of things you can try to keep creative flow and love of life:

-- Read.

-- Learn to crotchet, knit, needlework, and make a Christmas gift for someone on your list. (Have enough time, and make something for everybody. xD)

-- Wreath making. (My favorite wreath is the one I made of my favorite things. Did not need to buy anything but the wreath itself.)

-- Sew. (I used to make clothes for my stuffies by hand, since I never was good with a machine. Oh, BTW, your stuffed animal is cold. Tell me you don't have a single bare stuffed animal somewhere in your house.)

-- Draw.

-- Origami. 

-- Couldn't your recipes be easier to find, if you made a recipe book?

-- Clean out your papers. (Okay, not fun; however, a sense of accomplishment when it shrinks down to 25%.)

-- Learn a new program. (Who knows? Maybe you can learn how to draw through your computer, so you can make your own cover.)

-- Critique other writers. (Much more fun when expecting nothing in return.)

-- Slow-motion photograph. (There is this bush, not too far from our house, that I wanted to take a picture of every day for a year, to watch the slow change. You don't even have to go outside. Take a picture of a part of your room, every half hour/hour/day to see how the light changes it. Or, how often things move in and out of their spots.)

-- Bonsai.

-- How-to books that teach different aspects of writing that you know you're not that good doing.

I could keep going, but you only have until January. :$

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1