Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Need feedback for WIP. Characters rent an apartment in an unsafe part of LA instead of going homeless. Need thoughts for things to happen during this part of the story. Had originally planned for them to go homeless but changed my mind.

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 2

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, because I always say this when people are asking for plotting help. 😉 What happens will depend on the characters and how you need their story arc to move forward. In other words, choose the events based on how you want it to affect their internal journey.

Will they need to confront their fear? Realise that God can provide for them? Learn gratitude? Learn empathy for people in worse situations than theirs? Do you need for them to grow closer to each other and lean on each other more, or blame each other for their situation?

When you've decided how they need to grow internally, then you can come up with a plot device that will spark or show that change happening within them. That's what will make it a story as opposed to a series of events.

• Like 3

My daughter lives in an unsavory neighborhood.  Yesterday, as she was getting her 16 month-old son out of the car, she spotted a strange man watching her.  She was only a few yards from her front door, but as she tried to get to it, the man began chasing her.  He would have caught her before she could put her keys in the door so, she ran screaming, clutching her son to her, to her father-in-law's house just 3 doors away. Someone came out of that house and chased the man from her, but he ducked into an abandoned school yard just across the street.  At that point the concern was for the neighborhood children who often play there after school.

She does not know if the police caught the man or not, but she was afraid to leave her own home for three hours after that.  She said it was the scariest thing she has experienced even though she has seen her brother-in-law stabbed, and the men in her family have chased down and held a naked man, high of course, who was going after the neighborhood children until the cops got there.

There are so many other "incidents" that have happened in this part of town, but I think these would fit your LA setting.

• Like 1

Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry. I know what this does to a momma's heart. Praying for your daughter and her family. 🧡

• Like 1

@Becky Bradley, that’s awful!! I will be praying for her and her family. 

@EBraten poses a good course of action. Research things that could happen, but use them purposefully to build your story’s message. 

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your prayers.  Those incidents are some of the reasons I plead Yeshua's blood and the hedge of protection and angels around them and everyone else everyday.  She's grown up in this area so she's use to some of it, but it seems to have gotten worse-or more frequent. 

I didn't mean for this to come up as a prayer session, but could you please pray they get a good car and safer place to live, hopefully of their dreams, sooner rather than later?  It would be appreciated.  (I could use a bit of that prayer, too, please.  There are concerns about my 18 yr-old car, which they also use to get her husband to work, etc.  Right now I can't afford another one and they can't afford one at all).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Becky Bradley said:

but could you please pray they get a good car and safer place to live, hopefully of their dreams, sooner rather than later?

Praying!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1