Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
RADerdeyn

How many dungeons are too many?

I'm looking for some feedback here from the fantasy crowd.

I'm writing a fantasy series targeted at mid-grade and up. It is not epic fantasy, but rather light fantasy - think George MacDonald's  The Princess and the Goblin, or his Phantasties, or perhaps a Narnia-like adventure. In any case, in the first book, the heroine has to try and save a deposed king and queen who are in a dungeon. Then, as I'm writing the third book, I found my characters in another dungeon in a different country. But the female protagonist again has to save a couple of unrelated (but important) characters from that dungeon. The events happen in different ways, but "dungeon" plays a role in both.

In one way, I think this is not too bad as it is in different narratives with different characters in different circumstances.

On the other hand, how many dungeons are too many? 

• Like 2

Fantasy and dungeons is a known trope and I think your success or failure will hinge on how interesting you make your dungeons. I understand why you might be afraid to go back to that well for a third novel but I'm guessing it all really comes down to execution. 

So, you know, just be brilliant and it will be just fine. ;)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RADerdeyn said:

It's that "just be brilliant" part that has me a little worried, though.

Heh. You got this! :)

• Like 2

Dungeons can vary greatly from region to region - and of course the experiences your protagonist goes through in each can be vastly different as well. In the second dungeon you can even have her recall the challenges of her first dungeon delve, and then completely subvert her expectations in this new setting. Have fun with it. :)

Rasman, thanks for the comments. I wasn't completely clear in that the characters in each case of the dungeons are different, so your "recall" comment doesn't quite apply. But, it turns out they do get out in a very different way, so I did have fun with that. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.