Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

3 Amazon Secrets Every Author Needs to Know

From robeagar.teachable.com

Amazon has always been a secretive organization. For example, Jeff Bezos never divulges how many books or Kindle devices the company actually sells. In addition, Amazon keeps a lot of the best marketing techniques hidden from view. If you write and sell books on Amazon, here are three secrets every author needs to know:

Secret 1: Amazon has a "hidden back door" to update your book's marketing copy whenever you want.

Are you a traditionally-published author who is frustrated by the bland marketing text that your publisher put on your book's Amazon page? Do you wish you could make it look better and close more sales? Or, are you a self-published author who used a third-party company to list your book on Amazon, but you feel blocked from making desired updates?

Here's a little secret…Amazon has a hidden "back door" that lets you update your book's marketing text whenever you desire. For instance, maybe you received an amazing endorsement, won an industry award, or hit a bestseller list. All you have to do is set up a free Author Central Account with Amazon. Once your account is created, you gain full control to improve your marketing text, add persuasive endorsements, and update your author bio. Use this secret to make your appear more convincing to Amazon shoppers.

Secret 2: Grow your author email list using Amazon's huge audience for free.

Amazon attracts more book readers than anyone else on the planet. Did you know those readers can be converted into email subscribers? It's possible by using Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) service to set up a permanently free e-book that drives readers to your author email list. I call this free resource a "Bait Book," because it serves as appealing bait that attracts new readers to you.

This secret has two simple steps. First, create an e-book using KDP and place it in Amazon’s Kindle Store as a free download. Inside your e-book, put a special offer for more free content that drives readers to a landing page on your author website. When they go to that landing page, they can join your email list to access the bonus content.

Once you set up a Bait Book, it will run non-stop in the background and help build your email list while you write your next book. The best part is that everything can be created for free. Plus, you have the option to purchase inexpensive Amazon ads to help promote your bait book and make sure the right type of reader sees it.

Secret 3: Amazon will help you find your target audience for free.

Authors constantly wonder who their readers are. Amazon never shares customer contact information, so you never know who actually buys your books. However, there is a secret way to identify your target audience.

Go to your book’s Amazon page and look at the "Customers Also Bought" section. This data reveals comparable titles and similar authors to you and your book. How is this data helpful? It explains where to direct your advertising efforts on Facebook and Amazon.

For instance, if you see "Author X" frequently displayed in your "Customers Also Bought" list, then you should advertise to people who like Author X on Facebook and Amazon. Why? Because Amazon verified that people who like Author X also like your books. This information can save a lot of time and money determining the best way to maximize your advertising budget.

*I wanted to share these three secrets even though they are part of an expanded teaching and part of a course on Mastering Amazon for Authors which closes this Thursday, September 26th. The fee is $399.

https://robeagar.teachable.com/p/mastering-amazon-for-authors

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

This secret has two simple steps. First, create an e-book using KDP and place it in Amazon’s Kindle Store as a free download. Inside your e-book, put a special offer for more free content that drives readers to a landing page on your author website. When they go to that landing page, they can join your email list to access the bonus content.

Not sure about this, but I thought I read that Amazon  prohibited embedded links in eBooks. But I suppose you could just put the url (unlinked) in there. I could be wrong.   

From what I remember reading in articles and FB groups, you can embed links. Others have often talked about going into their books and updating the links. I just googled it and the first thing that popped up was this:

Yes, you can add hyperlinks to an ebook of any type to direct readers to external web pages to improve the reading experience.

With so many types of e-reader devices and reading apps connected to wifi and the Internet, adding links to an ebook makes a lot of sense.

Whether your book reader chooses to use Kindle books, Apple iBooks, Kobo books or Kindle Unlimited, your HTML links will work.

If you publish with Smashwords or Draft2digital, you can add links that will work on all ebook reader devices and apps. For example, the Kindle app on an iPad or iPhone.

• Like 1

So this in the list of acceptable links

Social media related to the book or author (e.g., Twitter hashtag)

mean you can link to your blog or website? It is related to the author.

Edited by carolinamtne

Okay. Here's some info from one who has done a lot of ebooks. I'm double-checking on website and social media. Will get back on those.

Amazon has always allowed book links. The question is what kind. Bearing in mind the unresolved war between Apple Books and Amazon, none of the obviously Amazon links will ever work in your Kindle app running on any Apple iOS product (iPhone, iPad). I think they work on desktop/laptop Kindle app though. So to work around this, authors use wraparound links. A while back, BITLY and OWLY didn't work either. But now you have ReaderLinks from D2D or your own website page if you don't want to use evergreen links. So we do have options.

Here's more. From the image from above. Someone shared this with me. This is important!

In the doc I posted above, it says you CANNOT link to a web page asking people to sign up for a newsletter, etc... so make sure whichever landing page you send them to is specifically for “like this book? Here’s a list of links to my others!” and that this page doesn’t include a newsletter signup form

Okay. This has been a four-way conversation, so I’m picking out the pertinent info. Be sure you read through all of the documents on Amazon for yourself.

*Amazon will not allow Google forms, for example.

*You would want to link to your website. I put my social media links on my website, and not directly inside my book front/back matter. I prefer to drive traffic to my own website rather than to third party social media sites.

*There are rules you need to follow if your ebooks are on Amazon for your book links to be OK. See their TOS. For example, in your MOBI files for Amazon uploads, you can only link to books on Amazon. You cannot link to other retailers. However, the caveat is that if you link to Amazon only using an Amazon link, the link will not work if you read the book on Kindle app on Apple. And you are not allowed to use Affiliate Links inside books (we know that those only work on websites). So you do have to make sure you follow all those rules and then you can link your books.

If that is too complicated, many authors actually simplify all that by linking to their own website. I myself have one page per book on my website, so I can always point to that page. I do use affiliate links but I am using evergreen links on my website anyway, so that works. Also I am using Vellum to format and it lets me put all the correct vendor links when the books are generated to be retailer-specific. However, I decided that it's easier to use my own evergreen links bc if something breaks, I want the readers to SEE my web link and they can type it in themselves (just in case something doesn't work on their app).

*For example, more caveats. You cannot even mention non-Amazon retailers by name inside your ebooks if your ebook is to be listed on Amazon. They are picky like that.

48 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

*For example, more caveats. You cannot even mention non-Amazon retailers by name inside your ebooks if your ebook is to be listed on Amazon. They are picky like that.

There goes twenty years off my author bio!