Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Spaulding

Good Marketing Article for MG writers

Taking Middle Grade to Market

Snippet:

One of the biggest challenges of marketing middle grade titles directly to their readers is that the majority of eight-to-12-year-olds don’t purchase their own books. However, those kids definitely wield influence over the adults in their lives who hold the purse strings. As a result, it’s vital for publishers to appeal to the gatekeepers—teachers, librarians, parents, and booksellers—and at the same time to design elements of their marketing campaigns that will grab the attention of kids.

Not surprisingly, publishers largely focus on reaching kids and gatekeepers where they spend lots of time together: at school. “Teachers and librarians continue to be key influencers and an integral piece of getting books into the hands of middle grade readers,” says Emily Romero, senior v-p of marketing at Penguin Young Readers. “They can introduce these books through the classroom or book clubs and reader’s advisory groups in the library and have a trickle-down effect to readers seeking these books out at retail.”

All this time, I've been thinking libraries and blog. Never thought "school." Never came up with a plan to bring all the gatekeepers in together.

Mind blowing!

Book fairs at schools could also be a good avenue for exposure. Also (speaking as a teacher), it's easiest to recommend books that I own and have read. It might be worth considering making free copies available to teachers. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kyoung said:

Book fairs at schools could also be a good avenue for exposure. Also (speaking as a teacher), it's easiest to recommend books that I own and have read. It might be worth considering making free copies available to teachers. 

The article suggests that. ARC = Advance Reader Copy. (And, I just learned what it meant today. :$)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I thought this was a thread about writers with those initials, and I was going to suggest a thread for NR writers!

National Review writers? o_O

xD

2 hours ago, Spaulding said:

National Review writers? o_O

xD

Non-Reading

Not Rowling

Negatively Revisionist

Not Rated

Or writers whose initials are NR.

• Haha 1