Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

34 famous first lines you wish you'd written

Writetodone.com posted this infographic of 34 famous first lines. Doing it in separate windows so it's easier to read.

image.png.cc513bb2c03572e50c454b1efcf81ccc.png

• Like 3

Love it! ☺️ My fav is never on these, though! It's CS Lewis, from the beginning of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

Very neat! And they are all very different.

Yeah, I thought that was cool that they were so different. :D

As a Christian I don't recommend the book, but the opening line to One Thousand Years of Solitude is the gold standard. 

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice." 

Another is the opener to A Handmaid's Tale, which I never actually finished, but was spellbound by the first sentence. 

"We slept in what had once been the gymnasium." 

Howl Moving Castle is a book?  I have the movie now I will have to check the book out from the library.  I prefer to read a book before I see a movie.  But anything from studio Gibly I will watch,  My Friend Tototro is the best.  First Gibly movie I saw was KiKi's Delivery Service.  I was taking a community Japanese class and the teacher played the movie the first day.  The rest of the classes were a little more learning but not much as we had seniors and teens and nobody could learn on the same speed.