Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
yowordworm

Writing Resources to Add to My Christmas Wish List

I'm currently in the process of writing my Christmas wish list (My family likes to get started early.) and need suggestions for writing resources to add to the list. What writing resources would you recommend? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

What do you write?

Currently, I'm writing contemporary fiction, but I've also got a few fantasy novels floating around in my head too. 

4 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

I once got a stack of legal pads and a good pen.

One year, I asked for, and received, a pack of those 5x8, 100-page journals/notebooks, and they were one of my favorite gifts. I go through those like they're going out of style. They're just so portable, and I don't feel like I have to fill them with lofty thoughts like I do a regular journal.

But I'm also interested in books about writing that others have found useful.

• Like 1

Notebooks!!!!!!!! My room/office is literally sky-high with them; I'd be lost without them! 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

• Like 3

16 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Save the Car Writes a Novel

You can't blame that one on dictatorn software!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, yowordworm said:

I'm currently in the process of writing my Christmas wish list (My family likes to get started early.) and need suggestions for writing resources to add to the list. What writing resources would you recommend? 

ProWritingAid. Added bonus: They have a sale on it right before Christmas. (At least, the year I got it for hubby to give to me for Christmas. :D)

19 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Scrivener.

Logos Bible software.

Somebody really loves you to get Logos. (I want to give it to hubby, but then he'd complain on how much I spent. :$ We put the "thrift" in "thrifty." xD)

On 9/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, yowordworm said:

Currently, I'm writing contemporary fiction, but I've also got a few fantasy novels floating around in my head too. 

One year, I asked for, and received, a pack of those 5x8, 100-page journals/notebooks, and they were one of my favorite gifts. I go through those like they're going out of style. They're just so portable, and I don't feel like I have to fill them with lofty thoughts like I do a regular journal.

But I'm also interested in books about writing that others have found useful.

Okay, there are two books I think every novel writer needs. My problem is one is written by a guy who was "that guy" every parent worries their daughter might go out with. He epitomized the lifestyle Christians fear. (Unapologetic that he was a professional burglar and pimp when he was young. Unapologetic that he was Warren Beatty in Lipstick in his middle age. Unapologetic that he spent a couple of years in prison, only to learn not to get caught again.) That said, he met a woman who changed him to something close to good-guy now. And, he wrote the book I do think every writer should own. (He also has written close to 20 books in total, on all sorts of topics, although most are fiction.) Oh, and he's a friend of mine since I fangirled him a decade ago over this book.

Here's the book: Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go by Les Edgerton

The title says why.

And the other one is more of a go-to book, as the need arises. The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi 

Let's just say there are more ways to express emotions then wagging the head. :$

3 minutes ago, yowordworm said:

I just got this one this summer, primarily because my characters seemed to nod their head a lot. I've enjoyed looking through it but haven't really delved deeply yet.

They have more that I recommend looking into also. 

Are you planning to self publish or go traditional? That might help us give more specific recommendations. 

On 9/21/2019 at 8:16 PM, Alley said:

Are you planning to self publish or go traditional? That might help us give more specific recommendations. 

At this point, I'm hoping to go traditional.