Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Manna

Looking for Screenplay Advice

Hello fellow writers! I was wondering if I could get some screenplay advice. Just practical blips of information on anything that someone who knows what they're doing thinks is important. I have questions such as: Am I supposed to put in the shots and angles or do I leave that up to the director? Do ALL actions have to be described in an action description paragraph or can some of them be in parenthesis with the dialogue of the character? I've read parts of a few screenplays and they seem to differ some in that aspect.

I am making a story I wrote into a spy/family screenplay and have had a lot of fun with it, however it's my first time and I really don't know what I'm doing. I don't expect it to become a movie (though I think Tom Hiddleston would make a good main character for it). I'm using the Celtx online program for layout. At least it looks decent! Haha

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

While you're waiting for someone to respond (which I'm of no help, sorry), I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

I find it helps looking at screenplays from other movies, particularly Disney films. :D

• Like 1

Don't put in wrylies (shots, angles).

Don't put in anything that can't be captured by a camera.

And if at all possible, say EVERYTHING in as few words as possible. I'd quote from my scripts, but I don't own the rights to them.

SETTING

Words on a digital page. edges of screen blurred, too many hours of work and coffee that now doesn't.

AUTHOR

Deadlines... 

(OS) Phone rings.

A Penguin wing picks up the phone.

AUTHOR

I can't. Not now.

The wing settles the phone on the cradle.

Does that help?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1