Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Stock photo help?

Does anyone have a list of stock photo sites, that can be used for blogs and newsletters? Preferably without the watermarks. 

@lynnmosher??? 

Most have a limited selection of "free" photos. Not knowing what you're looking for that may help. My experience has been anything useful to me cost. But to be fair some of those were pretty inexpensive for a months access so you can get what you need (like $20.00). 

• Thanks 1

iStock

Shutterstock 

Dreamstime

Even pinterest 

Edited by zx1ninja
  • Thanks 1

Oh, yes! Alley, I have a huge list. Most are free. And there are many that send out weekly emails with other free offerings. I have only used free images. Actually, the list needs updating. If you can wait until tomorrow or Monday, I'll put it up or send it to you. :D

• Thanks 1

Yes! I would love a list of free! 😊 No rush @lynnmosher. Just whenever you can do it. Thank you!!! *girly squeal!* 

Edited by Alley
  • Like 1

The selection at https://unsplash.com/ is absolutely vast. 

They are all shared under the Creative Commons Zero license, which i think is important. You can use them in any way you like, including modifying them, as long as the modification does not insult a recognizable person. (If you were a really 'accumulative" sort of person, you could even retain the rights to your modifications, though that might be a bit crazy...)

A media expert at a Christian Writers conference I attend pointed out that there are unscrupulous sites that play legal games with the term "royalty free," in that it's different from a license fee. You could be scammed into using their "royalty free" picture, and then get a letter from a lawyer demanding the one-time license fee, (After that, you could use their picture, for life, without paying royalties. Nasty scam, huh?) Creative Commons Zero makes it clear that there are no hidden strings.

EDIT:

I should have checked ahead of time, but unsplash no longer uses the Creative Commons Zero license. It still has a generous usage policy, similar to pixabay, but it's no longer CC0. It looks like what they've done is give us all the freedoms of CC0, except that we can't compile their images for use on a competing service. That's no inconvenience to us, but it does protect them from shady/lazy competitors.

Just thought i'd make every detail clear.

Edited by Wes B

Yes, there are some unscrupulous ones out there. However, there are more legitimate ones than shady ones. Reading their terms is very helpful.

I haven't used pixabay yet, but it's very nice, and has the exact same look and feel of unsplash.com . In fact, i did a double take when I saw it, because I thought I'd somehow gotten to the wrong site.

A real important thing in pixabay's terms is that we have the right to modify. That's particularly useful, because I'll often want to crop a picture, to get just a portion that's applicable to where I want to use it.

Thanks for the pointer.

• Like 1

On this same subject, I am looking for videos.  I liked Animoto but can't pay for the watermark to be removed.  Are there other sites like that on your list, Lynn?  

I am going to pay for Filmora.  @Nicholasreicher recommended it for video editing, but I'm looking for content! 

23 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Hey, I just went to that site, and man it was cool!  Thanks @quietspirit

I'm glad you liked it SW. I enjoyed using it. I need to find the time to advance my plan for another book, When I do, I will be using Pixabay.