Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Zee

Logistics

I must apologise for needing to be led by the hand through thevstory creation process, but as I believe I mentioned I am a novice, and also a bit of a perfectionist, so I like even my "for fun" activities to be done right.

So, yes...logistics. The story I am in the process of creating (or re-creating) is now being told from the point of view of two people, (main character and secondary main) in alternating chapters. So what we have now is a story that flips rapidly back and forth between not only two different points of view, but different locations and different times. The two characters don't join up until about halfway through.

Is this a legitimate way of telling a story? Or does this sound like it would be unnecessarily complex and confusing right out of the gate? It's a question of structural logistics rather than plot at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Zee said:

So what we have now is a story that flips rapidly back and forth between not only two different points of view, but different locations and different times. The two characters don't join up until about halfway through.

@Zee, this type of storytelling can be highly effective. Take All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr as an example. The way he has crafted his story is so that you have two timelines running going - one running over a few days in August 1944 and the other starting in 1934. Furthermore, he has two very different main characters narrating the story, and he alternates between their POVs within each timeline. He basically started his story right at the end, and in the very next chapter takes the readers back to where it all began. Then, just to remind us that there is more at stake than the "early" timeline initially suggests, he returns us to the 1944 story. And on he goes. Also, the two main characters don't meet until the very end of the 1944 timeline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zee said:

The story I am in the process of creating (or re-creating) is now being told from the point of view of two people, (main character and secondary main) in alternating chapters. So what we have now is a story that flips rapidly back and forth between not only two different points of view, but different locations and different times. The two characters don't join up until about halfway through.

Is this going to be a linear progression? Is one character going to tell events from their point of view, and then the other retells the same time period from their point of view? That could be interesting because you could introduce different (and seemingly conflicting information) to the reader, and have both characters have different perspectives as they join up. It could introduce tension between them until they sort things out.

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Accord64 said:

Is this going to be a linear progression? Is one character going to tell events from their point of view, and then the other retells the same time period from their point of view?

Sounds like a good plan, but don't make it too repetitive. Different points of view will see things differently, so the events should be seen in a different light.

Edited by carolinamtne