Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnddd I need help again. . .

Well, in the fire book, (that's just what I'm going to call it), the parents have to disappear for about a year from the children. The plot doesn't allow for them to be kidnapped by the starter of the fire like it was originally going to.  Thoughts on what can happen to them?

(and yes, my sister did conclude that they could wash up on a desert island.)

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 3

Oops, I forgot. Well, I guess I can tell you. The parents survive the fire. (and I'm not going to tell you how)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Oops, I forgot. Well, I guess I can tell you. The parents survive the fire. (and I'm not going to tell you how)

OH I did not expect this!

Injury induced-amnesia?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, PenName said:

Injury induced-amnesia?

they have to disappear for a time.

• Like 2

Just now, Sarah Daffy said:

they have to disappear for a time.

Maybe they wake up after running from the fire and hitting their heads? Then they wouldn't know where to go and probably wouldn't have any ID on them. Come to think of it, they wouldn't even know each other.... ahhh!! Lol. This may be more convoluted then what you're looking for. 😜

• Like 3

Maybe trapped in  a  landslide, car accident and in hospital, maybe arrested on suspicion of arson, airplane accident. The list can go on. 

• Like 3

Okay: here's what happens.

The parents are trapped in the basement when the fire occurs. They escape through a passageway deep underground and crawl for a long time before the passageway ends and they drop in the ocean, floating along on pieces of tin or something. Eventually they wash up on a desert island and are marooned there.

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Actually, I think Zee is right.  You're making this way too hard on yourself by making it so convoluted.  Maybe something simpler?

*buries head in hands*  Thinks to herself, No!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Thoughts on what can happen to them?

They're in the basement during the fire. Heat rises in a fire, so while they would get a little warm, they might not turn into a pot roast. Does the basement burn, or is it relatively unaffected by the fire? Do they have to escape the scene, or could they survive the fire in the basement itself? 

If they can survive in the basement (and not die of asphyxiation), then they could be found by clean-up teams several days after the fire (provided they don't die of thirst or starvation, the former being more likely). That would be enough time for Zac and Charity to end up on the streets (especially since their parents would be rushed to hospital once being found and would possibly spend several days there before being able to initiate a search). So in a way, its not the parents who disappear, its Zac and Charity, and their parents actually spend time trying to look for them and only catch up to them at the end of the book. 

An advantage you'd have with this idea is that the parents were assumed dead. Bank accounts frozen, death certificates issued, and a whole lot of other delightful bits of red tape that they would have to wade through before (possibly) being recognized for who they are. 

One question from me (to add to what Lucian has already asked) - why do their parents have to survive?

• Like 2

I've got a story in critical condition myself at the moment (for different reasons) so I totally feel your frustration. 
But why don't you step back from it a minute and rethink exactly why you are telling this story at all? 
From what you have said before, it seems your story is meant to be about how the two young people cope with the loss of their parents and grow stronger through facing tragedy. Certainly a story worth telling, but at the heart, quite a simple one. 
Perhaps I'm completely off base, and if so, let me know because I do want to help, but I don't see how all the secret tunnels and miraculously surviving parents really add to that.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

floating along on pieces of tin or something.

Make it wood, a large piece of driftwood. 

• Like 2

I like Claire's idea, and I would add to her question as to why they have to survive. If they have to disappear, why by fire?

Do you need to rethink the whole scenario? What is the intent of the story?

• Like 4

They are assumed dead for almost the entire book until the end when the parents surprise the children. Thought it would be nice to surprise the reader.

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Zee said:

, but I don't see how all the secret tunnels and miraculously surviving parents really add to that.

The parents just needed a way to be assumed dead until the end of the book, but really survive and be somewhere where they wouldn't find the children.

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 2

This would be a nice surprise, but I think the question a few people are asking is important. What is the lesson/message?

I read a book growing up called Escape from Warsaw, about refugee children in Poland after the Nazi invasion. They became self-sufficient throughout the book and were reunited with their parents at the end. While this was lovely, the epilogue was thought provoking and a bit of a downer. These kids/teens became both self-sufficient and traumatized. Their relationship with their parents was forever altered and even strained, because they could not mesh back into their old family dynamic. Now, this is very real-life, but is it where you want to take the story?

• Like 3

Just now, Sarah Daffy said:

Is it wrong to make the parents survive?

Not in the slightest. It just depends on the message and thoughts you want to leave your audience with. 😊Stay true to your message/lesson/theme.

• Like 3

I'm jumping in without a clue what the plot is (:D), but what about witness protection? They know someone or something so they have to disappear for a while.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Is it wrong to make the parents survive?

No, it isn't. It's just that if the point was to have Zac and Charity overcome difficulty, and be stronger for it, then having them reunited at the end might defeat that purpose. 

If their parents are going to survive, it needs to be for a plot-related purpose. So, if their surviving is not essential to this story, then maybe have them survive but Zac and Charity don't find out. You can always create a sequel in which their parents take center stage, and the hows and whys are all explained. 

• Like 3