Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Is your newsletter fulfilling the law?

1 minute ago, zx1ninja said:

I didn't know that I was supposed to have a newsletter 😱

You don't.

• Like 1

Alley, soooo glad you posted this. I had no idea. I'd never heard this before. And since I'm getting ready to switch over to an email (devotional) newsletter, this really helps. Thank you! :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I think it has to do with gathering information about people, like emails. Isn't that part of the European ruling a while ago?

Yes. And I hear there is a new law going into effect in October (although it could be from last year) from California that will affect the whole of the US. 

• Like 2

A newsletter is separate. Your email service would carry the newsletter. And if you wanted your blog posts to be emailed to subscribers, the email service would do that as well. Now, if you have the free side of WP, you'd have to check. I'm not sure about that but I think it's the same.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2019 at 5:15 PM, Alley said:

We all know that websites are required by law to have privacy policies, and terms and conditions, but did you know newsletters are required to have privacy policies too? I didn't! 

https://www.termsfeed.com/blog/privacy-policy-email-newsletters/

Does that include the blogs we write from this site?  I never even thought about so many legal stuff in writing or self-publishing.  My coach has just recently told me I need written approval from everyone that is inferred in my poems.  He said if anyone might be able to recognize who you are talking about, and no written permission, you could get wrapped up in confidentiality issues, even HIPPA laws.  This is getting so complicated!

But thank you for pointing out we better check.  I feel nauseous. Most of my poetry is about real incidents that have happened.  Now I have to write to people I haven't talked to in decades just to cover my but?

MK 

8 minutes ago, MaryKaithe said:

Does that include the blogs we write from this site?  I never even thought about so many legal stuff in writing or self-publishing. 

I don't believe you do. That would be a great question to ask @Rebecca in the support section. 

• Like 1