Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Moving scene or chapters

Has anyone had to move chapters or scene around at a late stage of their work.  It has been suggested to me I move a major incident that occurs toCora, one of my main characters from the end of Part to an earlier point of the book. The reason is to heighten the tension/suspense.

I can see why the suggestion has been made but I am struggling to see how I can do it without a) messing up the change of pattern in the POV (at present it is Jude, Jude, Cora). b) disturb the timeline chronologically and c) I am also concerned it will mean there is no mirror incident to the one Jude experiences at the end of Part 1.  The only solution I can think of - if I move Cora's - is to create another one for her at the end.

Suggestions welcomed.

• Like 3

I had to move scenes around in Tumbleweeds, to much information at one time and became an information dump. Not the same thing, but I took it out and pasted it into a blank document and then took sections to past back in a different spots, working them in as it went. They became shorter, but it seemed to help the flow some. Still cleaning it up, but it has worked out. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I agree with SW. I considered swapping the order of two scenes in my WIP, but have decided to complete the first draft before making any major changes. At least it gives time to think and get a feel for the rest of the story before making a decision. 

• Like 2

Hi. Thanks. I intend to give it a good week or two before I start any work on it.  I want to write one more.chapter for bk2 first.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I think I would need more background to give truly helpful suggestions.

But my guess would be your readers will care more about tension/surprise than about a symmetrical story pattern.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Has anyone had to move chapters or scene around at a late stage of their work. 

oh absolutely.

It requires a complete readthrough afterwards, to make sure you don't have someone falling, then a gun firing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

to make sure you don't have someone falling, then a gun firing.

Yeah, I hate it when I have something like that happening...

• Like 2

Sounds to me like it could be a big project. I hate to suggest it, but if you had an outline, you would have a better idea what's in each scene and what info you need where.

Yes, I do have an outline.  I always have a chapter by chapter breakdown so I will use that in the first place rather than wade through the MS.

I re-read the report last night and one thing he suggested was to try a non-liner sequence - I have written the story in chronological order.  

Although I will probably put some scenes to an earlier point I can't see the viability of use a non-liner approach for this book. I think it would be too confusing for the reader.