Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Life... Before the internet 😱 😄

I am old enough to know what life was like before the internet. 😄  Internet made some thing better and some worse. One of the best thing is convenience shopping/ paying bills.  One the other side your information is out there and who know how secure these site are that hold your credit card information.  Somehow someone got a hold of my credit card info and tried using it several states away. This has happened three times and I can only think they got it from the internet somehow. My credit card company blocked them but it is still freaky.

• Like 2

A very funny video!

I remember life before the internet, PC's (they actually came before the internet), cell phones, pagers (look those up on Wikipedia), and (gasp!) VCRs!

If I needed a ride home back when I was in high school, I had to use a public pay phone, with a rotary dial, and a dime, call a number that I either wrote down or memorized, actually talk to someone over that phone, and then wait around for my ride to show up. While I waited, I had no video games to pass the time. No app on my cell phone to let me know where my ride was. If I was lucky, I had a friend or two waiting for their rides and we... talked! :oops:

Yes, I went to high school in the stone age - otherwise known as the early 1980's. 

• Like 2

I feel sorry for kids today, who have so much technology around them that there's no time for using their imagination.

When I was a kid, I climbed out of my bedroom window at sunrise and went hiking alone down a rural Irish road with trees and bushes on both sides.  Not a single house in sight.  Being visually impaired, I always wondered what wonders lurked around the next bend.  Then I circled back home and climbed back in my window before anyone was the wiser.

We had a small ridge behind our house, and used to play back there quite a lot.  I remember exploring the bushes with my sister, imagining spaces found within as our own little clubhouse.  Or bicycling with my cousins in northern Illinois.  We wandered into the local woods and found a treehouse somebody had built.  We thought it was so neat up until the point when an uncle came looking for us and we were in trouble.

Fond memories, even when we got into trouble.

• Like 2

I grew up with internet that was so slow, that it took 5 minutes to connect. By the time the internet was connected, it would disconnect again. So I grew up playing outside (the best climbing tree in our yard could be a volcano, a country mansion or a sailing ship, depending upon what mood I was in). Best childhood ever.

• Like 1

Before the internet, doing research was exceedingly much more difficult for me.  To find information, I had to go to the nearest public library.  Then I'd search through the aisles to find the book, or books I hoped would be most helpful in my research.  Then I'd check them out, bring them home, and hunt through the pages until I found what I was searching for.  Then it could take hours to put the information together; instead of what now just takes a few clicks in a few seconds.

Another thing.  While the internet now makes doing research much more easier; it seems that too many people who are using it, are less informed, or deliberately misinformed, than those who used to checked out the library books. 

• Like 1

Playing outside! That's what most kids miss out on today.

I raise my kids on a ranch, so they did get some outdoor time. But it was a fight sometimes to get the boys off of the electronic games.

33 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

While the internet now makes doing research much more easier; it seems that too many people who are using it, are less informed, or deliberately misinformed, than those who used to checked out the library books. 

This is very true. I am fortunate to have book loving parents. One of their favorite phrases in response to "what does this mean?" was "check the dictionary." And then there were the encyclopedias that they taught us to use, along with thesauruses, concordances, and books, books, books ...

• Like 2