Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Neal

Hi from Chicago

Hey folks, I'm new to Christian Writers.  I'm an aspiring writer... well no, that's not entirely true.  I've been writing for 20 years, just not with the intention of publishing novels much less attempting to write them until recently.

Two months ago I completed Steve Alcorn's Write Fiction Like A Pro course with high scores in the final exam, which gave me a big boost of confidence.  That course taught me a lot about myself as well.  I'm very comfortable with writing story, and very uncomfortable writing plot.  But it also taught me to push through my mental blocks and to retrain my brain to work differently from how it's worked the last 20 years.

I've since written the scene outline for my first outline, went through it again with a round of edits, then hit a wall on the 2nd round of edits.  Basically, there were plot points that just nagged at me because they didn't feel right, or because I had too many plot points in the middle of the book and not enough story and pacing.  Then I got a little divine inspiration (that's what somebody called the muse on a podcast) that set me on a much happier path.  With a general idea and direction in mind now, I've started my first draft.

My greatest worry though, is in balancing my faith and my story.  I know the points I want to get across in my story (the need for God and the need for community), but I don't want to come off preachy.  My hope is that this would touch someone's heart at some point down the road.  At the same time, I am most into dystopian, sci-fi, military thriller, and epic fantasy, so I worry that my writing will not give proper glory to God.  Balancing between the two (not being too preachy but giving glory to God) is real challenging so far.

So that's me in a nutshell.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to our writing family, Neal. Glad you joined us. Congrats on doing so well on your course. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

• Like 2

Chicago....

This is the greatest spot on the web! unless of course I'm under critique, but as I often quote Freddy Mercury, "There is only room for one hysterical queen in this band." LOL

MK

• Like 2

Where in McHenry?  I live across Bull Valley road near the hospital.  No worries if you'd rather not say. I'm kind of on a quest to find a writer's group.

MaryKaithe

Edited by MaryKaithe
punctuation
  • Like 1

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome.  I really appreciate it.

@MaryKaithe I don't really know McHenry that well as I've only gone there by Metra and then got picked up in Woodstock.  The guy I visit there is definitely not a writer though.  As for where I'm at, Harlem Ave. is a good guess but I'm about 2 miles east of there in the Portage Park neighborhood.

• Like 1