Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

What does success mean to you?

I thought I'd ask this for we each have a different perspective on success. How do you feel about success? What are your expectations? However...are your expectations too high and clouding your true success?

For me? Success is what the Lords makes it for me. So, if what I write encourages, uplifts, comforts, opens eyes, changes hearts, and brings someone back or closer to the Lord, that to me is true success. I can't expect to be a household name. I don't place expectations of any sort on my writing. Just that others might read the words I offer and perhaps be inspired.

Now you...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I decided to make a bonsai out of a jade twig, in 2010. The same year I started writing this series. Jade is a tree, albeit one that doesn't grow tall.  (They do grow wide.) Trees take a long time to grow out of sapling stage. I'm 63 and not in great health. 

I don't know if I'll ever see the day when that jade is truly a tree. I'm not sure I'll see the day when this seven-book story is finished. Do I give up because the odds are against me seeing the outcome? I figure if I don't make it, I won't mind because of what happens after death. But, in the meantime, I'm the steward over the tree and the story.

I'd love it if kids get to enjoy this story as much as I do. I call that "success." I don't know how many or who, I just have hope that happens. And, if it doesn't? Well, no one will ever know about it, but I'm worshiping the Lord eternally, so it won't bum me. HE promised.

• Like 3

To me, success is what Lynn said; to me, just leading even one soul to the Lord through my work or through whatever God has instructed me to do is the success I strive for. I pray never to lose sight of that vision of success. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

To me, success is what Lynn said; to me, just leading even one soul to the Lord through my work or through whatever God has instructed me to do is the success I strive for. I pray never to lose sight of that vision of success

5 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Success is what the Lords makes it for me. So, if what I write encourages, uplifts, comforts, opens eyes, changes hearts, and brings someone back or closer to the Lord, that to me is true success. I can't expect to be a household name. I don't place expectations of any sort on my writing. Just that others might read the words I offer and perhaps be inspired.

Erin and Lynn: You have stated my heart thoughts.  I know I have found the right people to hang with. Thank you for your thoughts. 

• Like 4

I'd like to write stories that people remember long after finishing, ones that make them love our God just a little bit more.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

just leading even one soul to the Lord through my work

Yes!  Same for me!

• Like 4

Success. I don't think that I deserve success, at least not as most might define it.

What has already been said is good and desirable for sure.

But to not cause fault in, impede, mislead, prevent, destroy, putdown anyone from seeing, hearing, feeling, or reaching the Lord while trying to attain anything in anyway for myself.

To instead do the opposite to direct, introduce, clarify, uplift, or somehow deliver them to the Lord at any cost to myself, so they will have the opportunity to receive forgiveness and grace and love that only comes from the Lord while I sit outside in the shadow of the gate leading into Heaven. That, to me will be success and worth every second of eternity. 

• Like 4

I taught for 30 years. One of the things I learned was that I would never know how many students left my classroom a little stronger, a little more confident, a little more assured, feeling better about themselves. I really was not as concerned about them learning the subject material as I was that they learn that they were important and capable. (In the public school system, I couldn't add the "to God" part.)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

To instead do the opposite to direct, introduce, clarify, uplift, or somehow deliver them to the Lord at any cost to myself, so they will have the opportunity to receive forgiveness and grace and love that only comes from the Lord while I sit outside in the shadow of the gate leading into Heaven. That, to me will be success and worth every second of eternity. 

Well said, Z!

• Like 2

Some people think of success as a goal. I prefer to think of it as a target.

That way, I'm not beating myself up over not achieving some arbitrary milestone. " I'm closer today than I was yesterday;" that is a victory. "I'm drifting consistently this way one day, that way the next" is a symptom of a problem, not a failure.

But these are the words of Our Lord Jesus Christ to all who have fallen short of the Glory:

...I have prayed for there, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Luke 22:32 AKJV

I feel good about last night, putting in a full hour on a crucial scene and sketching out a steampunk subway train for the book smugglers to ride through the Labyrinth. The next target is to put in the same amount of time consistently on workdays, working toward suppression of my tendency toward distraction and procrastination.

Edited by EClayRowe
ET on phone at home
  • Like 4

The world does not need more Christian literature. What it needs is more Christians writing good literature.”  -C.S. Lewis

What does success mean to me? Being a Christian who writes good literature that reaches the world.

So that not only means being a good writer, and writing a good story, but having that story widely read. And if I can make a living out of it, all the better.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Zee said:

I'd like to write stories that people remember long after finishing, ones that make them love our God just a little bit more.

Well said. So do I.

To make a difference in the world, to tell even just one person about God.

• Like 2

Great question and many great answers.

I have to reiterate some of your answers.  Success for me would be writing memorable stories that have a positive impact on readers, giving glory to God by presenting a powerful message that uplifts, encourages, and leads the lost to Christ.  Working full-time as a writer would also be ideal.

• Like 4

All of this resonates with me, but it's more than that. I gave my creative writing to God years ago and I'm not depending on any of this being a massive financial smash. However, I do have high expectations. I'll feel this is a success if my peers recognize my work with sincere appreciation. If people I respect find something in my work which surprises or delights or challenges them, I'll feel all this work was worth it. 

Writing is like literary inception - planting idea seeds in someone else's mind. Like those who have gone on before, I'm writing for the mainstream audience from a Christian worldview and if any of these ideas of love and hate, selfishness and self-sacrifice, vengeance and grace resonate with people, I'll be happy. 

And I'd be really happy if enough of them bought my book to justify the seeds I've invested in making it as good as it can be. ;)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Johne said:

. If people I respect find something in my work which surprises or delights or challenges them, I'll feel all this work was worth it. 

Amen to that, Johne.

• Like 1

Success for me is obedience to what God is asking me to do. It can be so easy to give up at times. He teaches me so much through my topics, and I pray whoever reads it grows as well. If someone’s sees who they are in Christ and not as the world sees them, then that is success. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ccauthor said:

If someone’s sees who they are in Christ and not as the world sees them, then that is success. 

Very well stated. We all need to see ourselves as God sees us through Jesus. This is a humbling experience when we initially do it.

• Like 2