Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
MaryKaithe

Poetry anthology

I am curious how one puts together a poetry book? Made a newbe mistake and went with some stupid book press on line.  Now I need to put something together. I have more than enough poems, but have no idea how to order them. It is tells the story of my personal ups and downs of Christ healing a very broken childhood. I have paid for the stupid thing, I might as well submit something... I'm embarrassed....(face all red.)

• Like 1

Ah, don't beat yourself up.  Think of it as practice for the real live deal.  

The poems themselves will jostle and wrestle into order.  Don't you feel that poems happen, instead of getting written?  They have wills of their own and they are not gentle or quiet about letting me know what goes where.  

Maybe read them aloud.  Maybe print them on individual pieces of paper and throwing the pile in the air.  Where they land is where they go in the anthology.

Board books are best for poetry, but I understand this venture is not a board book?  

Do you have illustrations?  

I agree that poems seem to have their own lives. I can seldom plan a poem. They seem to pop out from somewhere in my soul.  I wish I could write on command, but it doesn't seem to happen that way. Makes me wonder if I'll always be sad or melancholy. My family always called me a drama queen. I have a different name for it. Empathy. I shorten it to empath.  Sometimes I wonder who's feelings I might be feeling. Very creepy and ethereal, but no one ever quite put it that way before.  You're right Nicola.

MaryKaithe      

• Like 1

I read somewhere about a poet whose name I do not remember. She wrote that poems came to her full-blown, long something dropped out of the sky. Once she was out in the field when the poem started into her mind. She ran to the house, yelling, "Wait! I have to get to paper and pen!" (or something like that). When she made it to the table, she pulled the poem back word by word from the end to the beginning.

Don't know if it's true, but it makes a good story.

• Like 1

I've heard that story too.  And that's how they happen to me.

11 hours ago, MaryKaithe said:

Sometimes I wonder who's feelings I might be feeling

You are feeling God's feelings.  Welcome to the Empath Club.  (now why doesn't spellcheck like that word?)  This is how I imagine God experiences us.  He knows our every thought, every heart beat.  He feels the tenderness of 'apple of My eye' and 'throb of My temple'.  I do that with people too and the world might see it as a curse, and it can become a curse unless put in the perspective of God.  

My family always called me a drama queen.

Your family experienced you as more than they could handle.  Mine too!  Most creatives are beyond ordinary human interaction which leads me to my next point ... 

Makes me wonder if I'll always be sad or melancholy.

Have you heard of Captivating by Staci Eldredge?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11413.Captivating

She purports that Satan says to the male, "You're not enough." and to the female, "You're too much."  That rings true with me.  

I've given up searching for happiness.  I accept joy in the doses God metes out.  Melancholy is a gift when given God's perspective and room to maneuver!  Which is poetry and prose!  

Let loose, sister!  Be!  Be fully what God made you to be.  Feel everything.  He'll also give you discernment when to show your stuff to others!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 6:52 PM, MaryKaithe said:

I am curious how one puts together a poetry book? Made a newbe mistake and went with some stupid book press on line.  Now I need to put something together. I have more than enough poems, but have no idea how to order them. It is tells the story of my personal ups and downs of Christ healing a very broken childhood. I have paid for the stupid thing, I might as well submit something... I'm embarrassed....(face all red.)

It's not a stupid thing like you think. Truth is, unless the poet is dead or very famous as a poet, there is no other way to create a book of poems except through such a press as you have chosen. So, if you want a whole collection of your poetry, you did the smart thing. 

As for order? Still not-a-poet, however, I'm assuming you wrote them in no particular order drawn in by one thing or another in your life. You only have one life, so there is order to the outcome, even if you remember the disorder of writing them. Consider it an artistic expression of your autobiography, because it is.

Considering some people write their autobiographies when they're young, I have a tendency to want to ask -- will there be a Part 2? (Considering you're a poet, I have trouble imagining there won't be a Part 2. I don't know how old you are to determine if there will be a Part 3. lol)

So this is your life story. Which way do you want it to go -- chronologically, like a typical autobiography, or artistically, like memoirs?

If chronologically, start at that poem that captures the earliest part of your life. Not your first poem, (although it could be your first poem), but from the earliest part of your life and then finish with the latest part of your life now.

If memoir-like, then think of your poems as if they are the rainbow. ROYGBIV. Where are you now? More in the Red range or more in the Violet range? End with that color. (If you've never studied the effects of color on moods, you're going to have to do some research to figure out what I'm talking about.) And then start with the other end of the rainbow. Try to order your poems that way and it will make a dramatic statement giving the book a changing, yet not chaotic, mood for the reader.

I'm not sure I helped, since I'm not-a-poet, but I hope we have creativity in common that this crosses over that chasm.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. I am following my heart on this. And I have had a line or once an entire poem com into my head.  I was helping a friend clean out her desk after she had been fired. I heard the poem in my head and I told her God had given me a poem just about this. It is a very strange thing I named Procopious Unleashed.  Procopious was a general in the Roman army and a famous author during the time when Rome was losing all its power. He eventually wrote a "tell=all" book about the leaders in Rome that is credited with having brought about the fall of the Roman Government. Its very political. Recently I felt lead to change the poem a little. Instead of Rome, I felt a compulsion to change it to the leaders of the Church. It is all Christian leaders in all the various denominations. 

I was afraid the poem sounded pretentious, so I haven't shared it with many.  I think I will share it with the two most influential people who have encouraged my writing. I'll ask them what they think. Then my special friends, I might ask you about it.  Like you said, "wisdom to know what to share, and what not to."

I'm thrilled to know there are people like me out there. I usually feel so odd and alone.  God bless you . You both have brought me not only a sense of peace, but of courage. 

MaryKaithe

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaryKaithe said:

I'm thrilled to know there are people like me out there. I usually feel so odd and alone.  God bless you . You both have brought me not only a sense of peace, but of courage.

You go girl!  Keep us updated!  We are eager to see the result!