Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

In Defense of Storytelling

In the Fiction Writers group on FB someone asked if there was every a time when it's preferable to Tell instead of Show. To the question 'When is it okay to not show but plainly tell in the story, I answered with this:

When you're a storyteller. Any story that begins 'Once upon a time' is a fable in the hands of a storyteller. Keep it simple and keep your readers hooked and you'll be fine.

For instance, this is author Pat Rothfuss telling the story of how he came up with the character of Auri in The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Imagine you have a character who is, themselves, a storyteller. Instead of showing in great detail a person standing or seated, you just dive right in. "In order to understand Auri I first have to tell you the story of Tunnel Bob." And, boom, away you go.

• Like 2

(I note there is a single occurrence of a rough word for emphasis.)

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, suspensewriter said:

I think I will write a book titled "The Way of the Storyteller!"

Go for it! You will do a great job.

• Like 2

Just now, suspensewriter said:

Ahhh- thank you EClayRowe.  And Carolinamtne and Carolyn W.  You I just might make a serious run at it!

What'll it be about?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suspensewriter said:

Why- the Way of the Storyteller, of course!😀

Will it be fiction?  😜

• Like 1

Just now, suspensewriter said:

Suspense.  

Like fantasy-suspense? Or suspense-thriller?

• Like 1

Treasure hunting/mystery, a little historical fiction, (which I discovered is just not my genre), screenwriting, and whatever you'd call the genre of the book with Zac and Charity Ashton. :)

• Like 1

Our lives are up for speculation when we publish?  Fact is stranger than fiction so I feel pretty safe.

His borrowing to create characters is helpful, thanks Johne.  I enjoyed Tunnel Bob!

• Like 1