Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
MaryKaithe

Fun flash poetry

Guess what ... I have invented a new genre

I call it Flash Poetry

coming at you - 

unedited -

I am leaking like a colander

When you pour the noodles in,

And boiling water touches you

And you drop the pot

It was too hot

I should have waited

Concentrated

On the task at hand.

I am spilling on the papers

I am grading for my class

The coffee’s too hot

It burned my tongue

I feel ashamed and rather dumb.

What to say

As I walk away?

stop writing

Anything?

There is nothing that shames someone

Quite as much, as when they are understood.

There is nothing that stops a shaking hand

Than a hand reaching out to hold it.

It gives a truth to what you have said

Like nothing ever can.

I am not sure

Who started this?

Leaking, making such a mess?

I am afraid

it’s by my own hand.

Of all the people

I do not know,

It is to you I reveal my soul.

Wisdom sought; is wisdom won.

I thank you for your intuition.

• Like 2

Sounds like fun. I moved your thread here. though. It was hidden where it was. You might want to edit it and invite others to participate. Any rules? :D

• Like 2

I've never done this before, but it was very therapeutic to do it.  Helped me get rid of the lump in my throat! I will make the only rule that the poems must tell some type of story, and rhyme like Dr. Seuss.  But we could just have a free for all.  It would be nice if we are all trying to write  something humorous, but not as necessary as the rhyme scheme.  Who would be the judge? 

• Like 1

Not even a nursery rhyme?  If it is the rhyming that throws you, use the rules of only having enough time to write your flash story that it would take you to make one up.  But you know , I'm talking about simple stuff.  I think poetry is much easier than novels.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Do we have to write a poem? Because I can't. . .

LOL No, you don't have to. It's just a fun prompt. :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MaryKaithe said:

Not even a nursery rhyme?  If it is the rhyming that throws you, use the rules of only having enough time to write your flash story that it would take you to make one up.  But you know , I'm talking about simple stuff.  I think poetry is much easier than novels.  

I've never tried. But writing poetry just sounds hard.

What I like about poetry is that while there are some rules, there really aren't any rules. You can write what ever you want. I am so poor with grammar! it was like a creative floodgate opened when I started writing poetry. Take, for example, Tolkien. He invented entire languages with his own grammatical rules. The beauty is that if you think it, it can become.  Cryptic huh?

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 10:50 PM, Sarah Daffy said:

Do we have to write a poem? Because I can't. . .

Anyone can write a poem! 

Go on and try a verse!

It may be bad 

And make you sad

But hey! It could be worse!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Anyone can write a poem! 

Go on and try a verse!

It may be bad 

And make you sad

But hey! It could be worse!

See, even he can write one!

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually write light verse quite often.  But this was meant to encourage, not anger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EClayRowe said:

I actually write light verse quite often.  But this was meant to encourage, not anger. 

Oh! I'm not mad! I was just being silly.

• Like 2

In order to continue the pattern in Unpacking boxes I have to write a serious poem about my brother. Then take another stab at story writing. My creative writing teacher senior year thought I was awful. I had to turn in a final project to finish for the year. By then I was so discouraged, I refused, Passive/aggressively to write anything. I really did not want to fail the class for the year, so I typed and turned in my journal from my time in Denmark when I was 16.  

She said it was great and that I may have found my genre at last.  I laughed so hard! Told my best friend that I should become a Travel Agent, because I could write one heck of a travel brochure.

I think I finally found the threat with both KR and Sarah on it.  I am so lost. Every time I click on my notifications, it doesn't take me to them, they all disappear.  Helpppppppppp:confused:

1 hour ago, MaryKaithe said:

In order to continue the pattern in Unpacking boxes I have to write a serious poem about my brother. Then take another stab at story writing. My creative writing teacher senior year thought I was awful. I had to turn in a final project to finish for the year. By then I was so discouraged, I refused, Passive/aggressively to write anything. I really did not want to fail the class for the year, so I typed and turned in my journal from my time in Denmark when I was 16.  

She said it was great and that I may have found my genre at last.  I laughed so hard! Told my best friend that I should become a Travel Agent, because I could write one heck of a travel brochure.

Since this is in regard to your Unpacking Boxes, MaryKaithe, you may want to post this there. 

1 hour ago, MaryKaithe said:

Where is everyone.  I can't find the discussion....

To find conversations/threads, what are you clicking on? The discussion about the flash poetry is here. Are you clicking on a link in an email or here on the site?

Usually on the persons Avatar.  I know that takes me directly to their profile, but I don't know Know how to get to the notifications or messages on the top of the screen next to my name. I click on  say the globe, which says I have 15 notifications. and it disappears and doesn't take me to the conversations. What am I doing wrong?