Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
RADerdeyn

New Creatures who later serve a purpose

I'm curious. Has anyone, in writing fantasy, created a new creature that later turned out to be useful, even critical to the story?

I am working on the third book of the Tales of Emradon. One of the things I am trying to convey in the story is that Emradon is a world where magical creatures are, let's say, far more common than in our world. It occurred to me that a person from here who had gone there might not be able to see all of the magic that was happening around them, including recognizing some of  the creatures as living.

So one of the heroines sees some of the creatures, but the first time, thinks them just a pile of rocks. Her second and third encounter let her understand that they are living creatures.

Where this got interesting for me is that, I was stuck at a point in the story as to how to get this heroine and another character out of a castle dungeon. After a significant time - weeks in fact - I realized the little rock creatures could get them out.

Has anyone else imagined a creature for one reason in a story and found them serving an entirely different purpose?

It really does feel almost magical when it happens.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:07 AM, RADerdeyn said:

Has anyone else imagined a creature for one reason in a story and found them serving an entirely different purpose?

Yes :) 

In my WIP, the dog-like creature that ends up slicing Kitten's arms started as a passing comment by a survivor of a similar attack.

This has also happened to me with characters, where one "supporting" character sauntered onto the pages, got comfortable, then told me that he was slightly more important than just being part of the backdrop.

He's going to get his own book. 

16 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

This has also happened to me with characters, where one "supporting" character sauntered onto the pages, got comfortable, then told me that he was slightly more important than just being part of the backdrop.

Interesting.

I had a similar experience. A character who showed up in the first book of my series actually became a major character in the third book of the series.

Don't you just love the way characters sometimes define their own roles?

On 8/22/2019 at 1:39 AM, RADerdeyn said:

Don't you just love the way characters sometimes define their own roles?

I actually do :) that's when I know that the characters are really "alive", because they have taken on choices of their own. 

But that's also when things start getting interesting, because the characters start trying to take over the story, and I have to try keep them in check.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.