Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

A verse everyone gets wrong...

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” (Philippians 1:21, KJV)

What does this verse mean? I see people use it as an autosignature. Others claim it as their life verse.

What does it mean?

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.” (Philippians 1:21–24, KJV)

Here's the translation in modern speak.

"Death to me would be a reward.To live is to serve Christ. "

Here's the next two verses in context,

"If I don't die, this is the rewards of my ministry - yet what I will choose I don't know. I'm torn between wanting to die and go be in Heaven, which is much better. But you need me to stay alive more."

Still your life's verse? 

It made sense to Paul. He'd been to Heaven already. He couldn't wait to go back. But he considered it worth it to be homeless, sacrifice comfort and go hungry, endure beatings and abuse.

Alas, truly few can honestly say it's really their life's verse.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great verse! I look at it as a win-win. If I live, I will serve Christ. all the days of my life. If I die, I will be in Heaven with Jesus. God is with me either way.

• Like 2

You know what's strange? That very verse is the "verse of the day" on Bible Gateway and I read it just this morning!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Hmmm...I don't know. Seems like a pretty good life verse to me. ;)

• Like 3

Three years ago, hubby came so close to dying, (several times in a row), that when he had to go back for follow-ups with different doctors, some of him dubbed him "Miracle Man."

When we went to the ER the first day, the doctor told him flat out, "You're dying. If I don't put you on a ventilator right now, you're going to die."

I spent the next eight weeks praying for God's will. But, figuring God knows everything about me, we both had the understanding that my will was for hubby to come home. I just knew it was better for hubby, if he went HOME -- God's home. So, best I could do was, "Thy will be done."

We both know that hubby won't live to be 113 as planned. (Always thought I'd live to be 104. Hubby is nine years older, so kept trying to talk him into 113. xD) Not likely ten more years. (Not likely I'll see 104 either.)

I was worried when he woke up, he'd feel like he got the short end of the stick. Nope. He was thrilled. We have no idea why God is keeping him here, (unless God really knows how much I need him even better than I do... which, come to think of it, He does.) But this we know. When God takes us HOME, that's when it's time to go home.

And considering neither one of us are spring chicks, and hurt most the time, we really are ready for HOME. He just keeps giving us more to do here.

Works out good, since the more He has us do here, the more reaching His kingdom comes.

I always thought that scripture meant that.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

What does this verse mean? I see people use it as an autosignature. Others claim it as their life verse.

What does it mean?

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.” (Philippians 1:21–24, KJV)

Here's the next two verses in context,

"If I don't die, this is the rewards of my ministry - yet what I will choose I don't know. I'm torn between wanting to die and go be in Heaven, which is much better. But you need me to stay alive more."

Still your life's verse? 

It made sense to Paul. He'd been to Heaven already. He couldn't wait to go back. But he considered it worth it to be homeless, sacrifice comfort and go hungry, endure beatings and abuse.

Alas, truly few can honestly say it's really their life's verse.

Our family has gone homeless, sacrificed comfort and gone hungry many days (three times we went 21 days straight without food) for the sake of faith. Our pets died in front of us, what little belongings we had were stolen, government services tried to rip our family apart and even our own extended family sent the police after us. Wanda was almost strangled, some drug crazed lunatics tried to kill us and a convict had to be restrained by 3 cops as he yelled about raping our daughters in a shelter. We have slept in snowbanks, in the woods, on fire ant hills, motels, churches, and on the street. We have been yelled at, sworn at, insulted, and told we were insane by Christian and non-christians alike (Christians being the worst). We saw the worst of humanity and the best, as people gave of themselves to help us. This is our testimony of faith. Was it worth it? Yes. Would we encourage others to follow the path we have taken? YES! Paul got it right to live IS Christ. That means living as Christ and accepting the same resistance to faith that He experienced. The suffering isn't the point though, the reward is, and that is what Paul is trying to convey. Jesus is our reward. No sacrifice on this earth is greater than Him. The suffering, sacrifice and pain don't matter, it is that we grow up into spiritual maturity and thus gain intimacy with Christ. This is what we discovered along with Paul.

You ask, 'still your life verse?' That is a good question. You are so very right that very few can really say it is.

You brought a compelling point forward Nicholas. Thank you.

Lynn, you are right that it is a pretty good life verse. In my mind there is none greater.

Ragamuffin_John, Bonhoeffer knocked it out of the park with that statement.

Blessings,

Homer Les

• Like 2

Beautiful verse!! I have always been fond of it. When we serve Christ, we don't have to dread death; because death for us is the gateway to life. :D

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 2:57 AM, Nicholas Reicher said:

What does this verse mean?

[...]

On 8/19/2019 at 2:57 AM, Nicholas Reicher said:

That's how I've always understood the verse... o_O As far as I know, this is how it is interpreted in Orthodoxy. How else do other people understand it?