Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

Killing My Darlings

I killed one of my darlings tonight, 650 really wonderful words about how one of the wisps hid the Great Wand away in another dimension to keep it from the scaly grasp of the evil Archmage. It was lyrical, magical, a scintillating scene of genuine wonder.

And it didn't fit this book.

So I mourned a little, and then I killed it, and moved forward with everything that remained.

• Like 1

Of course, when I say 'killed' I mean I moved it out of my WIP and dragged it down into my Unused Scenes in Scrivener. I suspect I won't use it elsewhere in this book but you never know. It's not gone-gone, just out of the compilable WIP.

image.thumb.png.2176567d01a5bfd671f8d092981e23a6.png

Whew! Was going to ask if you saved it. We should never toss out big chunks like that. Can almost always be used elsewhere. ;)

I'm considering killing off an entire (doll)house worth of characters right now, so I understand there is a bit of sadness in killing darlings. (Still pro-and-conning the decision.)

Something to consider though. Since it's fiction and since we're supposed to have author platforms, I have an idea for what I want to do for my series. Some novels are about a few. Some are about many. I am writing the latter kind, but I can't go deep into everyone or the story would never end. So, my plan is to write short stories about what's going on in the community throughout the main story. Do tell what's going on for different characters. Give reader's more of the story for characters they like.

You could do the same thing with your Wisp. Add that on your website for anyone who would like to go further into the characters.

I figure most the time I go find an author's website, what I really want to know is more of what happened to the characters I liked. And, I'm usually disappointed. So, give what I want to get.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, Johne said:

and dragged it down into my Unused Scenes in Scrivener

I keep everything! You never know.