Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Posted (edited)

Ordered a new Bible. I tried one of the Thomas Nelson KJV Comfort Print Journal the Word Bible, Imitation Leather, Brown. If by "Comfort Print" they mean "Smallest print ever used on a Bible", they were right.  Total waste of money unless you have microscopic vision.

Something along the size of this.

Then I ordered a Henrickson KJV Large Print Wide Margin Bible, Imitation Leather Brown (WW700888 on CBD).

Wow. I ordered a set of pigma micron pens, some crayons and some crayola pencils. It's probably going to take me about 3 years to get it highlighted and my notes installed. A friend of mine rolled his eyes when he saw I was writing some words in Greek, and others in Hebrew.

Some people like to draw in their Bible, so this one would be a good choice for you. Lots of room for highlighting. And of course, Jason Mayfield has a link on his website if you want to print out notes for easy reading in your Bible.

Edited by Nicholas Reicher
shrinking words
  • Like 4

While I do have two Bibles on a shelf, lately I've only been reading the Gateway Bible.  It's on-line, featuring about 150 different versions.  Most of them are translations into different languages; but the majority are in English.

So whatever Biblical translation you want to read, all you have to do is click on  https://www.biblegateway.com/

An on-line Pentecost!  Praise the Lord.  Amen.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've been resorting to biblegateway.com and using the Ctrl/+ or Ctrl/- functions to adjust the size.   I need a 14 or 16 font to read comfortably and this method does it for me.

I think there is some coy marketing going on by printers with regard to Bible font size, as "large", to me, now  looks like 10 or 11 font and giant looks like 12-14.    Street sense would seem to dictate that "giant" is 16 font or higher and large at least 14, given that the standard office size (in the U.S.) is likely a 12.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Like 3

Yeah, my KJV is getting a little hard to read.  @Ragamuffin_John, the standard font size is 8 or 9!  That's why it is so hard to read!  (I've got the HCSC in font size 17, the ESV in size 18, the NKJV in size 16, and the NIV and the CSB in size 16, too). Maybe it's time I looked around for the  KJV in a larger font size, because the font size I have has gotten largely unreadable!

• Like 3

As for highlighting, I think it works better not to have a scheme. Really, when you think about it, Romans would start all one color and gradually change...

• Like 2

It's so weird. Every year that I get older, the print in my Bible gets smaller. I'm typing this as I squint at my computer screen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

New invention: called glasses! ;)

Another new invention: kindle

I use my kindle paperwhite almost exclusively because I can adjust the font size with a swipe of a finger. It is also lighter than the 3 or 4 books I am always reading at the same time.

• Like 3

I used to like “compact” Bibles until I developed AARP-font visual acuity.   I just went to a major chain store, and there’s a nice, compact KJV that says “large print” in 8-font.   There needs to be a non-profit, BPSC (Bible Publishers Specifications Consortium).   First time I’ve noticed an expected print size to shrink with the dimensions of the Bible

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

I used to like “compact” Bibles until I developed AARP-font visual acuity.   I just went to a major chain store, and there’s a nice, compact KJV that says “large print” in 8-font.   There needs to be a non-profit, BPSC (Bible Publishers Specifications Consortium).   First time I’ve noticed an expected print size to shrink with the dimensions of the Bible

That was the problem with the "comfort print" Bible I bought. So the first Bible I bought was a waste of money. Couldn't see the print. The second one is much better, and a lot more room for notating.

• Like 1

I switched from a twenty-something NIV to the Christian Standard Bible (Study version).  Pretty impressive material with commentary, etymology, etc.

• Like 1

Eventually I want to get a second edition MacArthur study Bible 2nd edition - but he won't release a King James version.

Same thing for a Reformation Study Bible - no KJV. For some inexplicable reason.

So I'll have to get a (shudder) New King James.

(Cue Emperor's theme from "Empire Strikes Back" )

I'm actually going to deliberately buy a non-King James Bible!

I'm going to pick up a Geneva Bible.

(cue gasps of horror)

• Like 2