Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Becky Bradley

please pray for my family

I don't want to get into details, but my daughter and son-in-law are being bombarded from seemingly all directions.  it has been a horrible and tragic year and they really need a break.  also, my daughter is in desperate need of medical attention, but they are too poor to afford it.  I've been helping as best I can, but I don't have the money to get  her medical needs.  this state is trying to expand soonercare ( a state program helping children get their medical needs) to cover more poor folks.  it would help so many people--hopefully including my daughter.

i'm also really concerned about their faith in God.  they've gone through so much all their lives that neither have any confidence in God taking care of them.  they are Christians, but have no hope that anything good will ever happen.  their lives would put soap operas to shame.

also, my other daughter is in desperate need of full time job.  she is a sub, but because of certain state rules and her math dyslexia she lost her teaching certificate.  she worked so hard to get it  and taught for a few years before moving to another state where  her dream was smashed. 

and last, a relative of mine is having heart surgery. could you please pray  in that direction, too.  thank you

• Like 6

Bless your heart. I will definitely be praying for you. ❤️

• Like 3

God of all consolations, lead Becky's loved ones to fall into your everlasting arms of love, so that they will know, from wells of inner joy more than happiness, that You care for them and will provide.  

• Like 4

I'm so sorry, Becky. Sometimes life throws so much at us that it's difficult to even breathe. Praying the Lord will bless you all with whatever you need, including peace and comfort. 🧡

• Like 4

Becky, we've been where your daughter and SIL are. We ran out of money at the same time hubby was diagnosed with Hep C. (Hep C treatment costs over $3500 a month, back then, so there's the problem.)

Because of that, I suddenly was gifted with the ability to find government programs that do help when flat-broke.

Soonercare tells me they're Okies. Do they have children under 18? Because if they do, there is no need to wait for Soonercare to expand. They should qualify already.

If they don't, then here's something we did that I never thought to do until living-in-our-car started looking very real -- Welfare! I know. "Welfare." The program so many people think is full of ne'er-do-wells, but, hey! It saved our life. When we joined, they paid the insurance that included the $3500-a-month chemotherapy that did help hubby get better. "Cured." That much better. Truthfully Medicaid, (Soonercare's name outside of Oklahoma), was the best healthcare plan we've ever had. (I'm on Medicare now. It's bad enough that I pay for medigap insurance.) It covers everything needed, and at the right price -- free.

I do get the stigma for going on Welfare, however, flat-broke ended for us 9 months later. Your daughter and SIL need to know this is a tunnel, not a cave. And there is light at the end of it, but for now, there is help.

If they don't qualify for Welfare right now, let me know and I'll snoop more into what Oklahoma does have that will help. And if not at state level, let me know which town/city, and I'll snoop at that level too. If need be, I can snoop at local, state, or national levels for help.

I feared we'd end up living in our car. God is very good. Not only was hubby cured of Hep C, (which was unheard of when he started treatment), we also kept our house. (A federal program took over our mortgage, until we could take it back.)

As for other daughter? Dyslexia with numbers is called dyscalculia. (I have a brother with both problems.) Since she's subbing, she's working for the state. The state has to work within the framework of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Dyscalculia is a disability. True, she shouldn't be subbing for math classes, but that doesn't mean she shouldn't be subbing. (There are work-arounds for dates and other numbers.) One law the education system truly cares about is the Americans with Disabilities Act. I suspect the school systems changes their mind, if she just tells them. If not, I suspect the NEA will set them straight.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 9:38 AM, Spaulding said:

Soonercare tells me they're Okies. Do they have children under 18? Because if they do, there is no need to wait for Soonercare to expand. They should qualify already.

If they don't, then here's something we did that I never thought to do until living-in-our-car started looking very real -- Welfare! I know. "Welfare." The program so many people think is full of ne'er-do-wells, but, hey! It saved our life. When we joined, they paid the insurance that included the $3500-a-month chemotherapy that did help hubby get better. "Cured." That much better. Truthfully Medicaid, (Soonercare's name outside of Oklahoma), was the best healthcare plan we've ever had. (I'm on Medicare now. It's bad enough that I pay for medigap insurance.) It covers everything needed, and at the right price -- free.

I am so glad things worked out for you :)   I really am.  they helped when my husband was dying, too, until we were able to get his disability.  then they decided he made less than $50 too much.  it took a state representative we knew to come up with a program that would continue his medical needs. 

but because my daughter is married, she was dropped from disability.  she does not qualify on the grounds that her husband is responsible for her needs.  if she was a single mother there would be no problem.  they do get food stamps and their boys get the medical help they need, though. 

though my son-in-law works, poverty has been so great that when his mother suddenly died a year ago this last Thursday, his family was unable to bury her for over two weeks as they tried to round up the money.  up until then they had always felt rich in love despite the money and troubles.  but my son-in-law's family have not fared well at all and his father will probably not live much longer-and does not want to.  my son-in-law feels like he has lost all of them, not just his mother.  it is God's blessings that he has his children and wife, though and that he is able to work at a job he likes and that is training him for a good future. 

as far as my other daughter is concerned, subbing is not the problem.  as the  new year progresses she will be able to pick up more work because she is good at it and is in high demand.  but it does not pay the way a regular teacher does.  because of certain state laws her teaching certificate lapsed while trying to pass their tests.  she is an elementary teacher and the tests included math for high schoolers.  it is a very good state, but they are quite strict.

Edited by Becky Bradley
added new information
  • Like 2