Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
KenA

A fictious novel grounding to a hault

The inspiration to write a fictitious story ended when I opened the door to the last chapter. Reading through the 29800 word manuscript left me wanting. I'm feeling the need to provide more meaningful depth to my characters, and a little more to some of the settings where events take place. All this to say I'm looking for an experienced writer that could partner with me in getting this story completed and published. It's of a novella length now, and I'm not sure there could be another meaningful 20000 words added to place it in the Novel category.
The protagonist is a high tech computer pro whose latest work is wanted by a scheming wealthy crook who kidnaps her. 
Several people - relatives and friends - have read read what I have and told me it's a good story.
I'm wondering if there a professional writer around that could work over what I have and build a solid page turning story - if it's worthy enough.
If anyone would like to see or hear more please shoot me an email: kenmlatcomcast.net

Cheers,

Ken

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

I think this is in the wrong place, Ken.  Maybe jobs and connections?  But other than that, good luck!

If a moderator wants to move it, that's fine with me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenA said:

I'm feeling the need to provide more meaningful depth to my characters, and a little more to some of the settings where events take place.

As it happens, I just posted an article from author and script doctor David Farland.

As for help with characterization, I recommend a book called STORY GENIUS by Lisa Cron. I also recommend CREATING CHARACTER ARCS from our own K.M. Weiland.

• Like 1

Ken,

First thing I learned after writing two different beginnings to two different novels was "no one ever taught me how to write a story." I have a degree in Communications, so it's not like school taught me nothing about it. The problem was they taught it in parts without ever teaching me how to get the parts together into a whole.

So, I had to learn. I read/am reading how-to books and then applying what they teach me to my own story.

Here's the first one I picked up. (Warning: Les was definitely NOT a Christian when he wrote this, so expect hardcore, not fluffy and sweet.) 

Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go

And, realize as you're reading it that it's not just for the first pages. It's for the whole story. We have to keep the reader hooked all the way until we pull them to land.

I second what JohnE said. Years ago, K.M. Weiland was my critique partner for a project, and gives excellent advice. She has written several good books on the writing craft, including one on how to outline. Check out her blog and read her articles.

My problem is writing short books - mine always turn out too long! The key to writing longer stories is to intimately intertwine several stories into one bigger story. When I found weaknesses in the past, I learned how to insert a new plotline after the fact, rewriting some existing scenes to add more characters, plus adding other new scenes. It is like weaving.

One technique it to add a plotline that forces a dilemma - the heroine is about to win, but to save someone else in danger, she has to let the villain win this round.

For example, in A Most Refined Dragon, I had a woman whose spirit changes places with a dragon - she wants her body back to pursue romance with the man she loves. But when she gets a chance to do that, she realizes that only with a dragon's power can she rescue other people whom she has come to care for. She faces an ecological crisis. Then there was the unexplained disappearance of the former dragon king - foul play is susxpected. Different dragon factions are competing for the throne. An atrocity is committed and the new king is implicated. Then there are scientists from Earth who are up to no good. Plus another hidden force behind much of the chaos that no one suspects. In the middle of it, she is tried for murder, and in a compromise sentence, is stripped of some of her power.

Every level of conflict meant new characters, new scenes, and a longer book. I actually dialed back on the importance of some of the conflicts to shorten the story. That is one way to lengthen a book. Some of my story I planned from the start, but other conflicts I added as I went along because they just fit, like a competing love interest for the hero.

In another book, Flight After Death, I realized that I didn't have a solid villain. The system was my villain, but that is a hard sell, so I needed a person that is part of "the system" to represent its tyranny. Since I had already written most of the book, that was going to be a lot of rework, until I got lucky. I went through the many small annoyances and obstacles that my hero had faced and combined them into a conspiracy against him, putting the face of a minor character as the leader of this faction. I rewrote a few scenes to drop clues. Then I added a new climax, where the hero is captured by this group and subjected to a show trial. My book is actually part of a trilogy, but the true villain hides his plans effectively during the first book. The villain in my first book is fighting against the true villain, is basically a good person who mistakenly thinks the hero is on the villains side, making for a more complex and atypical antagonist.

Paul

Thank you everyone, I can see some expansion in my story. There are three areas that segue into one another that can be built up. 

Need to get myself off reading and back to writing:)

• Like 1